1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic mechanic, disk and rod

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

?temp_hash=6ae0d015ab67fa1fdbc0d76c05711e87.jpg
    A rod rolls without creep. And the disk rolls without creep on Q. The rod can just moves on y. Which is the relation among Va and Vohm?
    Va= velocity in A
    My resolution:
    in Q we know that velocity is zero.Q is also the instant rotation center ( disk).so the P point ( disk) is the fastest. How to bound speed in
    ##\Omega## and Va?
    I mean, just seeing the picture, without using the fondant formula of rigid cinematic. I could think it's like the half of Va.
    Ps.it's my first article and my english isn't so good, I hope you'll understand anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Your picture does not define point P very well. Is it the top of the disk, or is it the tangent point? If it is the tangent point (as I suspect), it is "not the fastest point." The "fastest point" is directly on the top.

This is a kinematics problem, and as such, you need to define some more variables and write the suitable relations among them. Define a variable name for the height of point A, a variable for the distance from A to the tangent point (P?), and the angle of the bar with respect to the horizontal. Then write the equations defining the closed loop from the origin to A to P to the center of the disk to Q and back to the origin; there will be two such equations. These can be solved for what you need.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3
    Thanks for reply,
    Point P is tangent, the question that teacher asked to me was "give me a qualitative consideration of velocity in ##\Omega##"
    For example the direction, and approximately the entity like "it's 1/3...2/3 of Va". The problem gives me just Va and nothing else. I tried to set problem analytically but professor said no.

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Afraid I can't help you if a proper mathematical formulation is not allowed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted