Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction

1. Hello.

Someone knows the book: "Analytical Mechanics: An Introduction" by Antonio Fasano, S. Marmi?
    Is this a good book on mechanics?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Bump

Any recommendations for a text which provides an introduction to Lagrangian mechanics and continues on to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

4. The classical reference is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.
    In my course on Analytical Mechanics, here in Brazil, I used "Mecânica Analítica" by Nivaldo Lemos. It is very similar to Goldstein's book.

For a more geometric approach: "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics", by V. I. Arnold or, for a more smooth transition, "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by José & Saletan.

Arnold's book will be my next fun :)

5. The Fasano-Marmi was my textbook during undergraduate studies -- I covered almost the whole book in two courses. To me it definitely doesn't seem a book for rookies: the part on hamiltonian dynamic is rather abstract though I enjoyed much the exposition. I eventually recommend for a course in basic mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. Avoid the chapter on continuous mechanic and ergodic theory -- the book wants to cover lots of different topics though only fundamental theories are exhaustive and well-made. If you are Italian, you might want to take a look to "Meccanica" by Gallavotti too.

Ll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?