1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing circuits with resistor/battery

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

use circuit shown:

if my 'drawing' gets reformatted incorrectly, this is what it 'looks' like in words.
    a 25 volt battery connected to a 16ohm at the top which connects at a junction to a 8ohm that goes down and a 1 ohm that goes to the right. the 1 ohm forms top right corner with a 3 ohm resistor pointing down to the bottom left corner. the bottom left corner connects to a4 ohm resistor that connects with 8 ohm resistor coming down from the 16 ohm - 1 ohm wire. the 4 ohm is connected at a junction to a 5 ohm resistor which connects to the bottom of the battery.

the battery, 8ohm, and 3 ohm are parallel. the 16ohm and 1 ohm wire is parallel to the 5ohm-4ohm wire. both are perpendicular to the battery, 8ohm and 3 ohm resistor.

btw, for future reference, what is the best way to put up diagrams like circuit so that it won't get messed up during posting?

_____16ohm__________1ohm___
    | | |
    --- | |
    25volts 8 3
    - o o
    | h h
    | m m
    |____5ohm__|________4ohm___|

a) what is the potential difference accross the 4 ohm resistor in the circuit?
    b) what is the current in the 8 ohm resistor?
    c) at what rate is the energy dissipated in the 16 ohm resistor and what fractions of all the energy dissipated is this?

2. Relevant equations

series resistors R = R_1 + R_2 + R_3 ...

parallel resistors 1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + 1/R_3 ....

V = IR where V is potential, I is current, R is resistance

current I = epsilon/(R_1 + R_2) ---> not sure what epsilon stands for? R is resistor

3. The attempt at a solution

i want to know the best way to handle the circuit, i am not sure what to make into series or parallel resistors to simplify the circuit.

especially how to handle the 8 and 3 ohm resistors in the center

help appreciated

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are 3 resistors that are obviously in series (that is, the same current flows through all 3 of them). Can you spot them?

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    the 16 ohm, 1 ohm and 3 ohm resistors?

if i made those three in series then how would the 8 ohm and 4 ohm be involved when i redraw the circuit?

attach a screen shot because my 'drawing' got messed up..if it helps

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the 16 ohm resistor is clearly not in series with the others. The current flowing through that resistor gets split off into the 8 ohm resistor the branch containing the 1, 3, and 4 ohm resistors.

Try again?

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5
    the 1, 3, 4 ohm resistors? and then the 16, 8, 5 ohm resistors, then both series joined in parallel?

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, sorry for the delay. I've been busy.

Yes, the 1,3, and 4 ohm resistors are in series. But the rest are not in parallel. If you reduce those 3 resistors to a single resistor, you should be able to see that it is in parallel with the 8 ohm resistor.

Can you take it from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?