Critical points of f(x,y)=Ax² with zero discriminant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
xokaitt
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let f(x,y)=Ax2+E where A and E are constants. What are the critical points of f(x,y)? Determine whether the critical points are local maxima, local minema, or saddle points.


2. The attempt at a solution

First I found the first partial derivatives with respect to x and y
[tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x=2Ax
[tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] 2Ax=0,
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] x=0 for any constant A.

Therefore, all points lying on the y-axis are critical points.
(i.e. C.P.'s = (0,n), n[tex]\in[/tex]R.)

Now, we have to find the second partial's with respect to x and y.
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x2=2A
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]y2=0
and
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]\partial[/tex]y=0

Therefore Df=([tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x2)([tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]y2)-([tex]\partial[/tex]2f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]\partial[/tex]y)2 at (0,n) , n[tex]\in[/tex]R.
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Df=(2A)(0)-(0)2=0

This is where I get stuck. Now that Df=0, how do I determine whether or not the critical pts are local extrema or saddle pts?

From plotting the function on Mathematica, I know that these critical points are in fact saddle points, but I don't know how to mathematically state that.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


It seems to me that you are making this much harder than it needs to be by not sketching a graph of this surface. Since y doesn't appear explicitly in the formula for the function, this surface is a cylinder with parabolic cross section, and with its axis of symmetry in the direction of the y-axis. IOW, the surface looks something like a trough. If A > 0, the trough opens upward, and all critical points are global minima. If A < 0, the trough opens downward, and all critical points are global maxima. All critical points lie on a line that is parallel to the y-axis.