1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the D value of critical point and the type of critical point

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function f(x,y) = [e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) has a critical point (0,0)

2. Relevant equations

Find the D value at the critical point. What type of critical point is it? (max, min, saddle or none)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that to find the D value I must compute the partial derivatives (fox, fey, fxy and fyx)

fx = [-4e^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

fy = [-2ye^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

fxx = [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)

fyy = [4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x)

fxy = [8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

fxy = [8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)

D = (fxx)(fyy) - (fxy)^2
    = [-16e^(-y^2)](cos(4x)[4(y^2)e^(-y^2)]cos(4x) - {[8ye^(-y^2)]sin(4x)}^2

evaluated at the critical point (0,0)

= (-16)(0) - (0)(0)
    = 0

This means that the 2nd derivative test gave no info. But somehow it's not the right answer. Did I find the correct value of D? Is my approach correct?

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Having the discriminant be zero doesn't mean there is no max or min. In your case, ##f(0,0)=1##. Can you tell from the original equation whether that might be a max or min?

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    I see from the original equation that the max of f(x,y) is 1. However what would the value of D be? Did I calculate it correctly? I keep getting 0 but since the critical point has a max behaviour then shouldn't D be more than 0?

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second derivative ##f_{yy}## is incorrect; it should not be 0 at (0,0), and ##D(0,0) \neq 0##.

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5
    Oh, I forgot to do the product rule on fy thus my fyy was incorrect.

Thanks LCKurtz & Ray Vickson!

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regardless of the calculation error that I overlooked, the discriminant can be zero even though there is a relative max or min. This is even true in one variable. Consider ##y=x^4##. This has an absolute min at ##x=0## yet ##y'=0## and ##y''=0## at ##x=0## so the second derivative test fails to discriminate the relative min.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted