Analyzing Forces and Acceleration in a System of Connected Particles

• Thread starter mcintyre_ie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram with a moveable pulley and masses attached to a string. The conversation covers finding the forces acting on each mass, determining the acceleration and tension in the string, and finding the mass needed for the moveable pulley to remain at rest while the other masses are in motion. The conversation also includes a discussion on how the motion of the pulley is related to the motion of the masses and provides advice on figuring out the accelerations.
mcintyre_ie
Hey,
I’d appreciate some help with this question. Here’s a diagram:

Diagram

And the question:

A moveable pulley of mass 2Kg is suspended on a light inextensible string between two fixed pulleys as shown and masses of 6kg and 3kg are asttached to the ends of the string. If the system is released from rest:
(I) Show in a diagram the forces acting on each of the masses.
(II) Find the acceleration of the moveable pulley and the tension in the string.
(III) If initially the moveable pulley had been replaced by another of mass m, find m, given that the moveable pulley remains at rest while the other two masses are in motion

I’m a bit confused about the accelerations of each particle and the pulley. From what I understand, the 6kg particle will move downwards, and the pulley and 3kg particle will move upwards. I’m assuming that some particle (probably the pulley?) will have a different acceleration to the others, maybe twice that of the others? I’m just lost as to what the accelerations are.

(I)Should be fine if I can find the accelerations.

(II)Should be ok too, once I have the accelerations and then use F=MA.

(III)Seems complicated, and I’m feeling I’ll probably have difficulty.

So, any advice on the accelerations and part (III) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Diagram010.jpg
    Diagram010.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 676
Physics news on Phys.org
First label all the forces: the tension in the string plus the weights of the masses.
For simplicity, I would assume that the masses at each end accelerate downward: a1 and a2. (Note: Make an educated guess as to how it will move--if wrong, the acceleration will be negative.) The acceleration of the middle pulley is related to that of the masses by: a = (a1 + a2)/2 upward. Make sure you understand this. (Think what happens if both masses move down by a given distance--what happens to the middle pulley?)

Doc Al said:
First label all the forces: the tension in the string plus the weights of the masses.
For simplicity, I would assume that the masses at each end accelerate downward: a1 and a2. (Note: Make an educated guess as to how it will move--if wrong, the acceleration will be negative.) The acceleration of the middle pulley is related to that of the masses by: a = (a1 + a2)/2 upward. Make sure you understand this. (Think what happens if both masses move down by a given distance--what happens to the middle pulley?)

I was thinking that the 6kg mass would be the only mass to move downwards, but both the other mass and the pulley would move upwards? For some reason I was thinking that the pulley would have an acceleration of half of that of each of the masses.

Last edited:
mcintyre_ie said:
I was thinking that the 6kg mass would be the only mass to move downwards, but both the other mass and the pulley would move upwards?
No need to guess. Figure it out! To start, assume some direction for the acceleration of the the two masses. This will define your sign convention for applying F=ma. If you chose correctly, the accelerations will come out positive. Try it and see.
For some reason I was thinking that the pulley would have an acceleration of half of that of each of the masses.
I'm not sure what you mean. The motion of the pulley is related to the motion of the masses. See my previous post. To see the relationship, use some examples: if the left mass drops by a distance X1, and the right one rises by X2, then how must the pulley move? Don't forget that the rope is doubled over the middle pulley. (Note that I used your assumption of how the masses move.)

Related to Analyzing Forces and Acceleration in a System of Connected Particles

1. What is the concept of connected particles?

The concept of connected particles refers to a system of particles that are physically linked or connected in some way, whether through forces or other interactions. This connection allows the particles to influence each other's behavior and movement.

2. How do connected particles behave differently than individual particles?

Connected particles exhibit collective behavior, meaning that their movement and interactions are influenced by the behavior of the other particles in the system. This can result in emergent properties and complex patterns of movement that cannot be observed in individual particles.

3. What are some examples of connected particles in nature?

Examples of connected particles in nature include molecules in a liquid or gas, atoms in a solid, and cells in a multicellular organism. These particles are connected through various forces, such as chemical bonds or physical interactions, and their collective behavior allows for the functioning of larger systems.

4. How are connected particles studied in scientific research?

Scientists use various methods to study connected particles, such as computer simulations, mathematical models, and experiments. These approaches allow for the observation and analysis of the behavior of connected particles and can provide insights into their properties and interactions.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding connected particles?

Understanding the behavior of connected particles has numerous applications in various fields, such as materials science, biology, and chemistry. It can also inform the development of technologies, such as new materials, drug delivery systems, and communication systems.