Analyzing Forces in an Electrically Charged Pendulum Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an electricity experiment involving a suspended plastic ball, an electric charge, and a charged rod. The magnitude of the horizontal electrical force exerted on the ball is discussed, as well as the tension in the string. The participants also discuss setting up a free body diagram and using different lengths of string to find the tension. Ultimately, the correct values for both F and the tension are found.
grothem
In an electricity experiment, a 1.10 g plastic ball is suspended on a 59.0 cm long string and given an electric charge. A charged rod brought near the ball exerts a horizontal electrical force F on it, causing the ball to swing out to a 19 degree angle and remain there.

What is the magnitude of F?
What is the tension in the string?

Ok, I set up my free body diagram and set the forces along the y-axis = 0.
I came up the the equation, .1078cos(19) + F -mg=0 , which does not give me the right magnitude for F, what is wrong with my equation? The length of the string is only needed for the tension part of problem correct? But I do not know how to set that up either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well vertically you have:
mg = Tcos19

And horizontally:
F = Tsin19

So I'd find the tension first, then use that to find the electrostatic force on the ball.

this isn't really what id call my good point in physics but i would say that you mite need to use the length of the string for more then just the tension.. set up ur thingo with various lengths of cord and check the differences... this probably didnt help u much but as i said,,, not my good point

Ok so I came up with T=.0114 and F=.0037N, which is correct. Thank you!

Related to Analyzing Forces in an Electrically Charged Pendulum Experiment

1. What is dynamics electricity problem?

Dynamics electricity problem refers to the study of the behavior and movement of charged particles in an electric field. It involves analyzing the forces and motion of these particles, as well as the effects of changing electric fields on their behavior.

2. What are some examples of dynamics electricity problems?

Examples of dynamics electricity problems include the motion of electrons in a circuit, the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, and the movement of ions in a plasma. Other examples include the dynamics of charged particles in a particle accelerator or in the Earth's ionosphere.

3. How are dynamics electricity problems solved?

Dynamics electricity problems can be solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's law, Newton's laws of motion, and Maxwell's equations. These equations can be used to calculate the forces and motion of charged particles in different scenarios.

4. What are the real-world applications of dynamics electricity problems?

Dynamics electricity problems have a wide range of real-world applications, including the design and operation of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. They are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in space, which is crucial for satellite and spacecraft operations.

5. How does dynamics electricity problem relate to other branches of physics?

Dynamics electricity problem is closely related to other branches of physics, such as electromagnetism, mechanics, and thermodynamics. It also has applications in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and materials science. Understanding dynamics electricity problems is essential for a comprehensive understanding of the natural world.