1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between line and its shadow on a plane

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A line intersects a vertical wall at 40.78° (that is, 49.22° with respect to the normal vector of the wall). The line is contained within a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall such that the aforementioned angle is measured with respect to the plumb line dropped from the point of intersection. The line casts a shadow on the wall that is 68.04° from the plumb line. What is the angle between the line and its shadow?

2. Relevant equations
    I haven't the foggiest. There's got to be a simple expression out there somewhere for this, but I've never encountered it before.

Thank you very much for your help!

added
    After talking with a math professor from the College of Wooster this afternoon, I found that a better way to describe this would be in spherical coordinates. So, I guess my question now would be: how does one go about finding the angle between to rays given in polar coordinates?

Taking the normal vector to the wall as (radius, azimuth, zenith)=(1,0,0), the two rays (unit length for simplicity) would be (1, 0°, 49.22°) and (1, 68.04°, 90°).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Personally, I would be inclined to use "vectors" to do this. Setting up a coordinate system so that the z-axis is up the wall is the yz-plane, and the line is in the xz-plane, we have a vector, of length 1, pointing along the line, given by sin(40.78)i+ cos(40.78)k. The shadow, making an ange of 68.04 with the z- axis, would be along the unit vector sin(68.04)j+ cos(68.04)k. Now, you can find the angle between those vectors by using the dot product and the fact that [itex]u\cdot v= |u||v|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle you want to find.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook