Angle between two vectors (Only by having their lengths)

In summary, to solve this problem, you need to find the equation of a line that passes through the points (a,b) and (c,d), where c is the intersection point of A and B, and d is the intersection point of B and S.
Driverfury

Homework Statement

Ok guys, I'm studying Physics and I started, of course, by learning about vectors.

So I have this problem:

There are two vectors: A (its length is 3 m) and B (its length is 4 m). I have not other informations about them.
I want to know how I can dispose them to get a vector S (which is A + B) such as:
a) its length is 7 m.
b) its length is 1 m.
c) its length is 5 m.

Now, I know that the points a and b are obvious but I want a rigorous solution which is valid for point c and for every other length of the vector S.

Homework Equations

Note[/B]: From now on when I write a I mean the length of the vector A. When I write b I mean the length of the vector B. Let's call o the agle between them.

Maybe this equation will be useful.

cos(o) = (A . B) / (a b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried but I cannot evaluate the scalar product A . B because it is equals to (a b cos(o)). And if I replace it in the equation I have:

cos(o) = (a b cos(o)) / (a b) = cos(o)

I need your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a way of writing the length of the composite vector using only the inner product and the lengths of A and B?

You have ##|A||B|\cos(\theta) =A \cdot B##. I am not sure that is exactly what you want to do, since C= A+B.
In theory, let's say you make A point along the x axis. A + B would be ##( |A| +B_x)\hat x + B_y \hat y## which is adding the part of B in the x direction to A and the remaining component of B is in the y direction.
##B_x## can also be thought of as ## B\cdot \hat x ## and similarly ##B_y = B\cdot \hat y = B - B_x##.
In more general terms, you don't even need to align A with the x axis, you could just make ##\hat a## a unit vector in the A direction.

If that still doesn't help, check your work with triangles and geometry...in that way (c) should at least be very straightforward.

RUber said:
You have ##|A||B|\cos(\theta) =A \cdot B##. I am not sure that is exactly what you want to do, since C= A+B.
In theory, let's say you make A point along the x axis. A + B would be ##( |A| +B_x)\hat x + B_y \hat y## which is adding the part of B in the x direction to A and the remaining component of B is in the y direction.
##B_x## can also be thought of as ## B\cdot \hat x ## and similarly ##B_y = B\cdot \hat y = B - B_x##.
In more general terms, you don't even need to align A with the x axis, you could just make ##\hat a## a unit vector in the A direction.

If that still doesn't help, check your work with triangles and geometry...in that way (c) should at least be very straightforward.

Thanks for your reply. I have not specified it but I want to know the angle between the vectors A and B. For this reason I mentioned the equation: ##|A||B|\cos(\theta) =A \cdot B##.

Even if i read your reply I am still not able to evaluate the angle between them (I want a rigorous solution which is valid for every length of S).

And for evaluating I mean that I want to know how many degrees (or radians) is the angle between the two vectors. With no unknown, I want to be able to precisely evalute the angle. In (a) the angle measures 0°, in (b) the angle measures 180°, in (c) it is 90° because 5 = sqrt(a^2 + b^2).

Remember that by definition, ##s^2 = \vec S.\vec S = (\vec A +\vec B).(\vec A + \vec B) ##. You are almost there !

Likes RUber
Driverfury said:

Homework Statement

Ok guys, I'm studying Physics and I started, of course, by learning about vectors.

So I have this problem:

There are two vectors: A (its length is 3 m) and B (its length is 4 m). I have not other informations about them.
I want to know how I can dispose them to get a vector S (which is A + B) such as:
a) its length is 7 m.
b) its length is 1 m.
c) its length is 5 m.

Now, I know that the points a and b are obvious but I want a rigorous solution which is valid for point c and for every other length of the vector S.
As you note, parts a) and b) are obvious, and part c) relates to a well-known right triangle.
If the only information you have are the magnitudes of vectors A and B and the magnitude of S, you don't have enough to go on for all possible values of |S|. For example, if |S| = 0 or if |S| > 7, there is no solution.

If S is such that it could be the third side of a triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines to find one of the angles of the triangle formed by A, B, and A + B. With that information, you could find the vector A + B.
Driverfury said:

Homework Equations

Note[/B]: From now on when I write a I mean the length of the vector A. When I write b I mean the length of the vector B. Let's call o the agle between them.

Maybe this equation will be useful.

cos(o) = (A . B) / (a b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried but I cannot evaluate the scalar product A . B because it is equals to (a b cos(o)). And if I replace it in the equation I have:

cos(o) = (a b cos(o)) / (a b) = cos(o)

I need your help.

Ok. Thanks for your replies, I solved.

1. What is the definition of angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the measure of the amount of rotation that is needed to align one vector with the other. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between two vectors calculated?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1 ( (a · b) / (|a| * |b|) ), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| are their respective magnitudes.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. However, the direction of the angle can be positive or negative depending on the orientation of the vectors.

4. What is the range of values for the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can range from 0 degrees (when the vectors are parallel) to 180 degrees (when the vectors are antiparallel).

5. How can the angle between two vectors be used in practical applications?

The angle between two vectors is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate forces, determine the direction of motion, and solve other problems involving vectors. It can also be used in navigation and graphics to determine the orientation of objects.