1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between two vectors (Only by having their lengths)

1. Oct 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok guys, I'm studying Physics and I started, of course, by learning about vectors.

So I have this problem:

There are two vectors: A (its length is 3 m) and B (its length is 4 m). I have not other informations about them.
    I want to know how I can dispose them to get a vector S (which is A + B) such as:
    a) its length is 7 m.
    b) its length is 1 m.
    c) its length is 5 m.

Now, I know that the points a and b are obvious but I want a rigorous solution which is valid for point c and for every other length of the vector S.

2. Relevant equations
    Note
    : From now on when I write a I mean the length of the vector A. When I write b I mean the length of the vector B. Let's call o the agle between them.

Maybe this equation will be useful.

cos(o) = (A . B) / (a b)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried but I cannot evaluate the scalar product A . B because it is equals to (a b cos(o)). And if I replace it in the equation I have:

cos(o) = (a b cos(o)) / (a b) = cos(o)

I need your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you think of a way of writing the length of the composite vector using only the inner product and the lengths of A and B?

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

You have ##|A||B|\cos(\theta) =A \cdot B##. I am not sure that is exactly what you want to do, since C= A+B.
    In theory, let's say you make A point along the x axis. A + B would be ##( |A| +B_x)\hat x + B_y \hat y## which is adding the part of B in the x direction to A and the remaining component of B is in the y direction.
    ##B_x## can also be thought of as ## B\cdot \hat x ## and similarly ##B_y = B\cdot \hat y = B - B_x##.
    In more general terms, you don't even need to align A with the x axis, you could just make ##\hat a## a unit vector in the A direction.

If that still doesn't help, check your work with triangles and geometry...in that way (c) should at least be very straightforward.

5. Oct 28, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your reply. I have not specified it but I want to know the angle between the vectors A and B. For this reason I mentioned the equation: ##|A||B|\cos(\theta) =A \cdot B##.

Even if i read your reply I am still not able to evaluate the angle between them (I want a rigorous solution which is valid for every length of S).

And for evaluating I mean that I want to know how many degrees (or radians) is the angle between the two vectors. With no unknown, I want to be able to precisely evalute the angle. In (a) the angle measures 0°, in (b) the angle measures 180°, in (c) it is 90° because 5 = sqrt(a^2 + b^2).

6. Oct 28, 2015 #5
    Remember that by definition, ##s^2 = \vec S.\vec S = (\vec A +\vec B).(\vec A + \vec B) ##. You are almost there !

7. Oct 28, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As you note, parts a) and b) are obvious, and part c) relates to a well-known right triangle.
    If the only information you have are the magnitudes of vectors A and B and the magnitude of S, you don't have enough to go on for all possible values of |S|. For example, if |S| = 0 or if |S| > 7, there is no solution.

If S is such that it could be the third side of a triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines to find one of the angles of the triangle formed by A, B, and A + B. With that information, you could find the vector A + B.

8. Oct 28, 2015 #7
    Ok. Thanks for your replies, I solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted