1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of Queue Ball after elastic collision

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume an elastic collision (ignoring friction and rotational motion).
    A queue ball initially moving at 2.2 m/s strikes a stationary eight ball of the same size and mass. After the collision, the queue ball's final speed is 0.61 m/s.

Find the queue ball's angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to its original line of motion. Answer in units of degrees.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1_i^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_i^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1_f^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_f^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1_i^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_i^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_1_f^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_2_f^2[/tex]
    [tex]v_1_i^2+v_2_i^2=v_1_f^2+v_2_f^2[/tex]
    [tex]v_2_f=2.114 m/s[/tex]

From here I am unsure of how to come to the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] the question is asking for.

I thought it might be:

[tex]tan\theta=\frac{v_2_f}{v_1_i}[/tex]

This is incorrect, though.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't determine the angle just by using the speeds. You have to consider that momentum is also conserved, which is a vector quantity. Choose x and y axes and split into components (each of which is conserved).

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    You have written equations for kinetic energy conservation. Write an equation for conservation of momentum also. Then solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?