1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of refraction of light in water

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ray of pure yellow light reaches the surface of a pond at an angle of incidence of 60°. What angle does it make with the normal inside the water?

Speed of light in air = 300,000,000 m/s
    Speed of light in water = 225,000,000 m/s
    So the Refractive index μ = 1.33

2. Relevant equations
    μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction

3. The attempt at a solution
    μ = sin i / sin r
    1.33 = 60° / sin r
    sin r = 60° / 1.33

So the angle of refraction equals 45.11°. Is this correct? I believe this is the correct way to work it out, yet when I check the answer online using various calculators the answer comes up as 40.62°. Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

yes, you are. And the problem is shown in your writing "μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction" when it should be "μ = sin(angle of incidence) / sin(angle of refraction)"

You write that below but then you write "1.33= 60°/ sin r" and "sin r= 60°/1.33= 45.11°"

sin r= sin(60°)/1.33. Use a calculator to determine sin(60°) and once you have sin r, use a calculator again to determine r itself.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3
    Ah, I see now. Sin r = 0.6511469, so r = 40.62°

Thank you sir!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook