Angle of Tension b/w 2 Dogs Pulling Ropes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 21K views
Nano-Passion
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two dogs pull horizontally on ropes attached to a post; the angle between the ropes is 60 degrees. If dog A exerts a force of 270N and dog B exerts a force of 300 N, find the magnitude of the resultant force and the angle it makes with dog A's rope.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



We know that the resultant force between 2 forces is

[tex]f_{res} = \sqrt{F_{a}^2 + F_{b}^2 + 2 F_{a} F_{b} cos \theta}[/tex]
[itex]= 493.86N[/itex]

This part I got write, the part I don't understand is how to find the angle the resultant force makes with the dog A's rope.

I grabbed the problem on cramster http://www.cramster.com/solution/solution/1339563 and the person uses this formula

[tex]tan \theta = \frac{F_{b} sin 60}{F_{a} + F_{b} cos 60}[/tex]

Homework Statement



But after 30min+ grappling with how he got to that formula I still don't know how!

Please help, I'm going crazy over this lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to use components rather some formula.

But since you used the cosine formula for the resultant you can use the sine formula to get the angle:

300/sintheta = resultant/sin120
 
grzz said:
I prefer to use components rather some formula.

But since you used the cosine formula for the resultant you can use the sine formula to get the angle:

300/sintheta = resultant/sin120

You can't because they only give you the angle between the rope, not the direction of pull.

How did you get sin 120?
 
If you look at the pararellogram whose sides are the tensions, one can use the sine formula in the traingle made up by the resultant and the two tensions. The angle opposite the resultant is 120deg.