Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle projections to Euler angles

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Consider a vector in 3D. Its projections on two planes, say YX and YZ planes, makes some angle with the vertical axis ( the y axis in this case). I know these two angles (I call them projected angles). This is the only information I have about the vector.

I need Euler angles which when applied on a unit vector in vertical direction will rotate the unit vector in the direction of the original vector.

Practical application: This would be used to assess angular deformities in tibia/femur. Surgeons know about these projected angles through x-rays in AP and ML planes ( equivalent to YX and YZ planes above). I need to convert them to Euler angles for my application.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey ashishbsbe.

If you want to get the Euler angles, you can use solve for cos(theta) = <a,b>/[||a||*||b||] and get an inverse cosine and then put it in the right branch (you will need to also use the cross product where sin(theta) = ||a X a|| / [||a||*||b|| which will allow you to get the quadrant).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook