Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Angles between complex vectors

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    So I was trying to learn how to find the angle between two complex 4-dimentional vectors. I came across this paper, http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/9904077.pdf which I found to be a little confusing and as a result not overly helpful. I was wondering if anyone could help at all?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Assuming that you have a ##4## dimensional complex vector space ##V_{\mathbb{C}}## you have essentially two possibility, You can consider the complex space isometric to the real space ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## so you have the relation for the Euclidean angle ##\Theta##:

[tex]\cos{\Theta(A,B)}=\frac{(A,B)}{|A||B|}[/tex]

where ##(,)## is the product in ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## or you can consider your complex space isometric to ##\mathbb{C}^{4}## and have the relation for the Hermitian angle ##\Theta_{c}##:

[tex]\cos{\Theta_{c}(A,B)}=\frac{(A,B)_{\mathbb{C}}}{|A||B|}[/tex]

where now ##(,)_{\mathbb{C}}## is the hermitian product on ## \mathbb{C}^{4}##. Defining and almost complex structure you can have other kind of angles (Kahler) but depends what you need ... the last part of the article works in order to find relations between these kind of angles ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted