Angles between complex vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two complex 4-dimensional vectors. The paper provided in the conversation explains two possibilities for defining the angle - the Euclidean angle and the Hermitian angle. The difference between these two angles is explained and a formula for calculating the Hermitian angle is given. Further, the conversation mentions writing down the angle between two states in a complex Hilbert space and provides a formula for calculating the distance between two states. The question of how to calculate the angle between two states is also posed.
Physgeek64
So I was trying to learn how to find the angle between two complex 4-dimentional vectors. I came across this paper, http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/9904077.pdf which I found to be a little confusing and as a result not overly helpful. I was wondering if anyone could help at all?

Many thanks in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you have a ##4## dimensional complex vector space ##V_{\mathbb{C}}## you have essentially two possibility, You can consider the complex space isometric to the real space ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## so you have the relation for the Euclidean angle ##\Theta##:

[tex]\cos{\Theta(A,B)}=\frac{(A,B)}{|A||B|}[/tex]

where ##(,)## is the product in ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## or you can consider your complex space isometric to ##\mathbb{C}^{4}## and have the relation for the Hermitian angle ##\Theta_{c}##:

[tex]\cos{\Theta_{c}(A,B)}=\frac{(A,B)_{\mathbb{C}}}{|A||B|}[/tex]

where now ##(,)_{\mathbb{C}}## is the hermitian product on ## \mathbb{C}^{4}##. Defining and almost complex structure you can have other kind of angles (Kahler) but depends what you need ... the last part of the article works in order to find relations between these kind of angles ...

Just to expand on the Euclidean and Hermitian angles, since complex angles can be a bit confusing: if a Hermitian (complex) inner product is defined on ##\mathbb{C}^{4}##, then the complex angle between two complex vectors ##v## and ##w## is defined as

$$\cos\theta_{c}\equiv\frac{\left\langle v,w\right\rangle }{\left\Vert v\right\Vert \left\Vert w\right\Vert }.$$

Both the angle and its cosine are in general complex. The Euclidean angle is defined by taking the real part of the cosine, to get a real angle:

$$\cos\theta_{E}\equiv\frac{\mathrm{Re}\left(\left\langle v,w\right\rangle \right)}{\left\Vert v\right\Vert \left\Vert w\right\Vert }.$$

If we take an orthonormal basis in ##\mathbb{C}^{4}## based on the Hermitian inner product, this gives an orthonormal basis of ##\mathbb{R}^{8}## via decomplexification (removing the possibility of complex multiplication of scalars), which in turn defines a real inner product on ##\mathbb{R}^{8}##. The Euclidean angle is equal to the angle between the vectors under this decomplexification. Note that a Euclidean angle of ##\pi/2## does not ensure a vanishing Hermitian inner product.

If we instead take the modulus (absolute value) of the cosine, this defines the Hermitian angle, which is again real:

$$\cos\theta_{H}\equiv\frac{\left|\left\langle v,w\right\rangle \right|}{\left\Vert v\right\Vert \left\Vert w\right\Vert }.$$

This angle, just like the angle in Euclidean space, is the ratio of the orthogonal projection of ##v## onto ##w## over the norm of ##v## (or the reverse). However, it's important to remember that the orthogonal projection here uses the Hermitian inner product, so that parallel vectors in ##\mathbb{C}^{4}## may be orthogonal using the corresponding real inner product in ##\mathbb{R}^{8}##.

More details here: https://www.mathphysicsbook.com/mathematics/abstract-algebra/generalizing-vectors/norms-of-vectors/

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Hello everybody, nice answers.
I was wondering if I can write down the angle between two states in a complex Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}_N## of any dimension. I know that the distance ##|d|## between the state ##|\psi\rangle## and the state ##|\phi\rangle## would be
$$|d\rangle = |\psi\rangle - |\phi\rangle \: ,$$
and then
$$|d| = \sqrt{\langle d | d \rangle} \: .$$
Am I right? But what about the angle?
Thank you so much :biggrin:

1. What is the definition of an angle between two complex vectors?

The angle between two complex vectors is the measure of the angular separation between the two vectors in a complex plane. It is also known as the phase angle or argument of the complex number formed by the two vectors.

2. How do you calculate the angle between two complex vectors?

The angle between two complex vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((u∙v)/(|u||v|)), where u and v are the two complex vectors. Another method is to use the cross product formula: sin θ = (|u x v|)/(|u||v|). Both methods will give the same result.

3. Can the angle between two complex vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two complex vectors can be negative. This usually happens when the vectors are in opposite directions, and the angle is measured in a counterclockwise direction. In this case, the angle will have a negative value.

4. What is the range of possible values for the angle between two complex vectors?

The angle between two complex vectors can have values between -π and π radians, or between -180° and 180°. This range covers all possible angles in a complex plane.

5. How is the angle between two complex vectors related to their orientation?

The angle between two complex vectors is directly related to their orientation in a complex plane. If the angle is 0°, the vectors are parallel, and if the angle is 90°, the vectors are perpendicular. The orientation of the vectors can also be determined by the sign of the angle, where a positive angle indicates a counterclockwise orientation and a negative angle indicates a clockwise orientation.