1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a beam?

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    This problem is making me want to tear my hair off.
    I am trying to calculate the time it takes for a beam to fall to the ground.

http://myweb.lmu.edu/gvarieschi/chimney/Graph1.JPG

It would be great if I could calculate the rate of change of angular acceleration, as the acceleration would depend on the angle.

The equation for momentum or torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration = cos(angle) * arm * m*g

Here the arm would be equal to the distance from the point of rotation to the center of the mass of the beam.

The other equation I find useful is: s = -1/2gt^2 + Vt + s

Again, with changing acceleration, I am lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Consider an analysis based on energy. How fast must the bar be rotating as it passes through a given angle in order for total energy to be conserved?

That should then allow you to derive angular velocity as a function of angle.

That should lead you to a solution that does not involve solving a differential equation.

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    Google something called the 'inverted pendulum' for some insight how to solve this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook