1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a motor

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a motor, with an armature that has a mass of 250kg , and a diameter of 30 cm. Assuming the mass of the armature is evenly distributed, the rotational inertia of the armature is 22.5 kg-m^2.
    Now the motor accelerating unloaded, with armature current regulated so that the armature develops a constant torque of 120 N-m, would be coming up to speed at 35.8 rad/sec^2? (Did I get this wrong?)
    Assume the torque stays the same, How long will it take for the unloaded armature to accelerate from 0 to 3000 rpm.
    2. Relevant equations
    T=Ia 22.5 kg-m^2(3000(pie)-15cm(pie))/(T)
    22.5(3000(pie)-.15m(pie))/(T)

I think I am doing something wrong here cause I get stuck here.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2
    Mmm. Pie....

It looks like you're trying to convert RPM to rad/s? I don't quite follow your equations.

3000 revolution/min * 2pi rad/revolution * 1 min/60 s

Should give you your angular speed.

To figure out how long it takes, you can probably use the fact that net torque = dL/dt (the time rate of change of angular momentum) or you could use rotational kinematic equations to solve for the time.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    Correct, I am attempting to do that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook