Angular Acceleration of Electric Motor

In summary, An electric motor with an angular velocity of w=100t-4t3 starts from rest at time t=0. If the angle of rotation, x, is also zero at t=0, the expression for x in terms of t is x=50t^2-t^4. When x=2pi radians, the angular velocity is given by the equation 2π=50t^2-t^4, which can be solved for 't' by first substituting y=t^2 and solving for 'y'. Then, 't' can be found by taking the square root of 'y'.
physicsfun_12

Homework Statement

An electric motor starts from rest at time t=0. Its angular velocity is: w=100t-4t3

A) If the angle of rotation, x, of the motor is also zero when t=o, determine an expression for this angle in terms of t.
B) Determine the angular velocity when x=2pi radians. Give your answer in r.p.m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For A) I thought you just integrate the expression given for angular velocity so i got x=50t^2-t^4.

For B), I said that x=2pi, so 2pi=50t^2-t^4 but I am unsure how to solve this for x.

Any help much apriciated,

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsfun_12 said:
For B), I said that x=2pi, so 2pi=50t^2-t^4 but I am unsure how to solve this for x.

if y=t2, then your equation becomes:

2π=50y-y2

I think you can solve for 'y' now and then find 't'

Clever!

Thanks alot!

Mike

1. What is angular acceleration in electric motors?

Angular acceleration in electric motors refers to the rate of change of the angular velocity of the motor. It is a measure of how quickly the motor is accelerating or decelerating as it rotates.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated in electric motors?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur. This can be expressed as the equation α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of electric motors?

The angular acceleration of electric motors can be affected by several factors, including the torque applied to the motor, the moment of inertia of the motor's rotating parts, and the resistance or friction within the motor.

4. How does angular acceleration impact the performance of electric motors?

The angular acceleration of electric motors is directly related to the motor's ability to quickly change its speed of rotation. A higher angular acceleration can result in a more responsive and efficient motor, while a lower angular acceleration may lead to slower and less efficient performance.

5. Can the angular acceleration of electric motors be controlled?

Yes, the angular acceleration of electric motors can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the applied torque, changing the motor's gearing or pulley system, or using electronic controls to regulate the motor's speed and acceleration. This allows for precise control and optimization of the motor's performance for different applications and operating conditions.