Conversion between two Harmonic Angular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of converting the angular motion of a motor to the angular motion of an oscillating bar connected to it through a sliding and rotating collar. The motor has an angular velocity of 10π rad*s-1 and the desired motion of the bar is a swing with an amplitude of 30 degrees in 0.2s. Various attempts at finding an equation to compare the two motions, including using Simple Harmonic Motion and creating a table of angles, have been unsuccessful. The conversation suggests that this is ultimately a geometry problem and further examination of the relationship between the angles is needed.
DFornazari

Homework Statement

I need to find a way to do a conversion between the angular motion of a motor to the angular motion of an oscilating bar that is connected to it through a sliding and rotating collar. This way, every time the motor completes a revolution, the bar swings back and forth with a amplitude of 30 degrees in 0,2s (2x30º = 60º). The problem is that I can't find an equation to compare both motions.

The motor angular velocity is 10π rad*s-1

Homework Equations

SHM equations (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using Angular Simple Harmonic Motion, but I think that as I'm working with big angles, the error will be way too big. I also tried comparing the angles of both motions in a table (Motor Angle [0º,360º] x Bar Angle[-30º,30º]), and found an equation: θ(φ) = sin(φ)*π*sqrt(3)/9. The problem is that this equation works when you use φ = 0, 120, 180 and 240, but it does not appear to work when angles between those are used. I think that happens because the relation is not linear due to acceleration.
DSC_0028.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a geometry problem. Your diagram shows the bar at one extreme of movement. Draw another with it in general position. What equation relates φ and θ?

1. What is the formula for converting between two harmonic angular motions?

The formula for converting between two harmonic angular motions is:
ω₁ = ω₂ × r₁/r₂
where ω₁ and ω₂ are the angular velocities of the first and second harmonic motions, and r₁ and r₂ are the radii of their respective circular paths.

2. How can I convert between degrees and radians in harmonic angular motion?

To convert between degrees and radians in harmonic angular motion, you can use the following formula:
θ (in radians) = θ (in degrees) × π/180
This will give you the equivalent angle in radians.

3. Can I convert between two harmonic angular motions if the radii are different?

Yes, you can convert between two harmonic angular motions even if the radii are different. You just need to use the formula:
ω₁ = ω₂ × r₁/r₂
where ω₁ and ω₂ are the angular velocities of the first and second harmonic motions, and r₁ and r₂ are the radii of their respective circular paths.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in harmonic angular motion?

The relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in harmonic angular motion is:
ω = v/r
where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How do I convert between harmonic angular motion and simple harmonic motion?

To convert between harmonic angular motion and simple harmonic motion, you can use the formula:
x = rθ
where x is the displacement in simple harmonic motion, r is the radius of the circular path, and θ is the angle in harmonic angular motion. This formula assumes that the motion is happening in a horizontal plane.