Angular acceleration problem / 99% sure I'm doing right but getting wrong answer

In summary, the conversation discusses a toy car on a circular track with a radius of .274 m. The car starts at a speed of 1.09 m/s and accelerates at a constant rate to a final speed of 2.99 m/s while completing 0.507 revolutions. The question is to find the angular acceleration, which can be calculated using the formula ωf^2 = ω0^2 + 2αθ. The conversation also includes a calculation for the distance traveled in radians, which is not relevant to finding the angular acceleration. The correct answer for the angular acceleration is 59.1 rad/s^2.
sweetpete28
A toy car is on a circular track of radius r = .274 m. The car starts at initial speed vo = 1.09 m/s, and accelerates at a constant rate to final speed vf = 2.99 m/s while making 0.507 complete revolutions around the track. What is the angular acceleration?

Here is what I did:

distance traveled in radians = (2pi * r)(.507 revolution) = .8728 radians = θ

ω initial = v0 / r = 1.09/.274 = 3.9781 rad/s

ω final = vf / r = 2.99/.274 = 10.9124 rad/s

ωf^2 = ω0^2 + 2αθ

(10.9124)^2 = (3.9781)^2 + 2(.8728)α

α = 59.1 rad/s^2 but this is wrong...What am I doing wrong? A little frustrated here...any help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetpete28 said:
Here is what I did:

distance traveled in radians = (2pi * [STRIKE]r[/STRIKE])(.507 revolution) = .8728 radians = θ

You calculated the distance traveled instead of the angle.

ehild

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is:
α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / (t₂ - t₁), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the magnitude of the torque applied to an object, the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation), and the distribution of mass in the object.

Why might I be getting the wrong answer for an angular acceleration problem even though I am 99% sure I am doing it correctly?

There could be a number of reasons why you are getting the wrong answer for an angular acceleration problem, even if you are confident in your calculations. Some possible reasons include rounding errors, incorrect units, or not taking into account all of the forces or factors affecting the object's rotation. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas and units.