Angular acceleration problem Help

In summary, a space station in the shape of a wheel is constructed with a diameter of 23 m and a mass of 7.9×10^5 kg at the rim. It is set rotating at a rate that simulates Earth's surface gravity using two small rockets with 150 N thrust mounted on the rim. To reach the desired spin rate, the formula w = sqrt(g/r) is used, where g is the radial acceleration and r is the radius. The time to reach the desired spin rate is calculated to be 3.96 * 10^4 seconds. The mistake in the solution was using the diameter instead of the radius in the formula.
akan
A space station is constructed in the shape of a wheel 23 m in diameter, with essentially all of its 7.9×10^5 kg mass at the rim. Once the station is completed, it is set rotating at a rate that requires an object at the rim to have radial acceleration g, thereby simulating Earth's surface gravity. This is accomplished using two small rockets, each with 150 N thrust, that are mounted on the rim of the station.

How long will it take to reach the desired spin rate?

Formulas:
T = rFsinTHETA
T = I {alpha}
I = MR^2

Finding anuglar acceleration:
2RF = MR^2 {alpha}
2F = MR {alpha}
2F/MR = {alpha}

Finding the desired spin rate:
a = v^2/r
= w^2r^2 / r
= w^2r
w = sqrt(a/r)
= sqrt(g/r)

Finding the time:
t = w/ {alpha}
= sqrt(g/r) * MR / 2F
= sqrt(9.81 / 23) * (7.9*10^5) * (23) / (2 * 150)
= 3.96 * 10^4

Mastering Physics says I am wrong. Where is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I don't believe that this is such a difficult problem that no one can help me with a proper solution... This is just basic Physics B. So please help me.

Thanks,
Anthony

23 m is the diameter, not the radius.

Wow, that's it? Wow... damn it. I read the problem many times over and never saw this stupid mistake. Thanks a lot. :)

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing over time in a circular or rotational motion.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

While linear acceleration measures the change in an object's linear velocity, angular acceleration measures the change in an object's angular velocity. Linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared, while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared.

3. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a net torque acting on an object. Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion, and a net torque will cause an object to accelerate in its rotational motion.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the net torque acting on an object by its moment of inertia.

5. How is angular acceleration related to angular momentum?

Angular acceleration and angular momentum are related through Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion. This law states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. Therefore, an increase in angular acceleration will result in an increase in angular momentum, and vice versa.