1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular forms of acceleration, velocity and displacement

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    I have been going through my equations and writing them up on the computer so I can refer to that when needed and have go to angular acceleration, velocity and displacement equations yet I dont have very many equations for those topics and I wondered if anyone had some equations for finding those values. I seemed to have more for acceleration, velocity and displacement in their linear forms, could I just changed the variables in those equations to their angular counterparts?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi scotty_le_b! :smile:
    the popular ones, yes :smile:

for example, from the pf library on https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" …​

In the direction of constant acceleration:

[tex]v\ =\ u\ +\ at[/tex]
    [tex]v^2\ =\ u^2\ +\ 2as[/tex]
    [tex]s\ =\ ut\ +\ \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Perpendicular to the direction of constant acceleration:

[tex]v\ =\ u[/tex]
    [tex]s\ =\ ut[/tex]

For circular motion, with angular displacement [itex]\theta[/itex], angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex], and angular acceleration [itex]\alpha[/itex]:

[tex]\omega_f\ =\ \omega_i\ +\ \alpha t[/tex]
    [tex]\omega_f ^2\ =\ \omega_i^2\ +\ 2\alpha\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\theta\ =\ \omega_it\ +\ \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook