1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Frequency vs. Angular Velocity

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    In S.H.M omega denotes?I am really confused where to put pi=3.14 and where to put pi=180 degrees.In one question while solving for omega when Time period is given from formula T=2pi/omega i took pi=3.14 and got right but in other question in similar situation i.e solving for omega when Time period is given from formula T=2pi/omega ,when i took pi=3.14 i got wrong when i saw solution i came to know that there has to be pi=180 degrees.I am really confused.where omega is radian per second and where it is only per second?And where to put pi=3.14 and where to put pi=180 degrees in formula T=2pi/omega?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I would think that either the question itself, or your instructor, should be telling you whether to do the problem in radians or degrees.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    In one question while solving for omega whenTime period is given from formula T=2pi/omega i took pi=3.14 and got right but in other question in similar situation i.e solving for omega when Time period is given from formula T=2pi/omega ,when i took pi=3.14 i got wrong when i saw solution i came to know that there has to be pi=180 degrees.I am really confused.

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Repeating what you've already said without giving any more information isn't going to help anyone help you. What exactly do the questions say?

6. Dec 4, 2014 #5

Doc Al

pi is never equal to 180 degrees; pi is a number. Angular frequency, ##\omega##, is usually given in radians/sec. In that case, the period is given by ##T = 2 \pi/\omega##. If angular frequency is given in degrees/sec, then you'd have to use ##T = 360/\omega##.

Note that ##2\pi## is the number of radians in a complete cycle and 360 is the number of degrees in a complete cycle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook