Angular magnification and image size

In summary: In your case, you might want to consider rays that come from the center of the sun and the rim of the sun.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

You have a lens with f=1m. You decide to make a camera to take a picture of the solar eclipse. The image of the sun and its corona have an angular size of 1.00 degrees. Find the diamter (in cm) of the resulting image.

Homework Equations

M=theta'/theta = 25cm/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to find the angular magnification:
M=25cm/100cm = 1/4 (so the image the camera observes is smaller than what is in the sky?)

And since M=theta'/theta and I know theta=1.00 degree, I figured I'd find theta':
theta'=M*theta = 0.25 degrees

And I thought I'd get the height of the image formed using just a triangle where one angle is .25 degrees and one of the sides is the near point distance of 25 cm.
Which yielded image height of about 1.1mm...

Is this method right? I don't like how the height is so tiny. But I remember that when you focus sunrays with a magnifying glass you get a point (to burn whatever), so at the same time it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
One property of thin lenses is that rays through their center are not bent.
Suppose a ray from the center of the sun goes on the optic axis through the center of the lens. A second ray from the rim of the sun passes through the center of the lens - it won't be bent either, so it will emerge from the lens at angle half a degree from the optic axis. Consider the triangle formed by the two rays emerging from the lens half a degree apart and a vertical line at the focal plane 1 meter away from the lens where the image is formed. This is a right triangle, so you can easily calculate the side of the triangle that is the half height of the image. It gives an answer quite different from your 1.1 mm.

Ooh okay, so I got 1.75cm, does that sound more right?

Thanks!

Yes!
Most of those lens questions boil down to choosing two rays that are easy to work with.

1. What is angular magnification?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much larger an image appears compared to the actual size of the object when viewed through a lens or optical instrument.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the apparent size of the image by the actual size of the object. It is typically expressed as a ratio or a percentage.

3. What factors affect angular magnification?

The factors that affect angular magnification include the focal length of the lens or optical instrument, the distance between the object and the lens, and the distance between the lens and the observer's eye.

4. How does angular magnification impact image size?

The greater the angular magnification, the larger the image will appear to the observer. This is because the image is being viewed from a closer distance and appears to be magnified.

5. Can angular magnification be negative?

No, angular magnification cannot be negative. A negative value would indicate that the image is inverted or flipped, which is not possible with magnification. Angular magnification can only be positive or zero.