1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular magnification of flat and concave mirrors

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) I hold a flat mirror 22.4 cm in front of my face. There is a freckle on my
    face 1 mm in diameter. Find the angular size of the freckle on the image of my face as
    viewed by my eye. (b) Repeat for a concave mirror which has a focal length of 39 cm.
    (c) What is the angular magnification of the concave mirror, as compared to the flat
    mirror?

2. Relevant equations

m = θ/θ2
    M=h'/h=-q/p
    1/p+1/q=1/f

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a: I figured that θ is the angle with the mirror in use, and θ2 is the angle when the object is placed at the nearpoint without the mirror. I assumed I was looking for θ, so I drew a triangle and did the arctan of 0.1cm/44.8cm to get 0.128 degrees as my answer. I'm not sure if that is correct.

For part b: I found q using 1/p+1/q=1/f, and it was -52.62650602 cm. I then calculated total distance, q+p = 52.62650602 cm + 22.4 cm = 75.02650602cm. Then using M=-q/p, i calculated the magnification to be 2.34939759, making h' 2.34939759 mm. Then to find theta, I did arctan(h'/totaldistance) to equal 0.179 degrees. Probably wrong.

Part c: I took angular size from part b and divided it by the angular size in part a because i figured that theta2 is the same for both.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Basically you have tried to remember how to use a bunch of memorized equations - so you are not sure you did it right. Have a go sketching the situation as a way of checking your results using geometry rather than rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted