Angular momentum at a distance

In summary, the angular momentum of an object about its center of mass is equal to the sum of its own angular momentum and the angular momentum of the origin.
tmiddlet
Say I have a situation like the image.

I have a potentially complex object with moment of inertia I about its center of mass, mass M, velocity v and position r with respect to P. It is rotating with angular velocity ω about its center of mass

What is the angular momentum about point P? I would say [tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times M\vec{v}[/tex] but would that be accurate or only an approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think L=r*m*v is an approx because what you did is that you Used L=w*I where I was substuted as I=MR^2 which is the Inertia for a point mass .If the object is a complex its Inertia would be I=cMR^2 where c is a constant (example for Rod rotating about its tip I =1/3*MR^2 , c= 1/3 ) therefore exact L for complex won't equal r*Mv :)

You should remember to include the objects "own" angular momentum. If the angular momentum around the CM of an object is LCM then the angular momentum of the body for any other reference point P is

LP = LCM + rP x mv,

where rP is the displacement vector from P to CM. This equation is exact in the sense that follows from the definitions of angular momentum and center of mass. If you know the object to be rigid you can further use LCM = Iω.

Thanks a ton! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Do you know of a proof of this?

Never mind, I managed to prove it. Thanks!

tmiddlet said:
Do you know of a proof of this?
It's pretty simple for a system of particles. Let
[itex]\mathbf r_n[/itex] be the vector from the center of mass to nth particle,
[itex]m_n[/itex] be the mass of the nth particle,
[itex]\mathbf R[/itex] be the vector from the origin to the center of mass, and
[itex]M[/itex] be the total mass of the system, [itex]M=\sum_n m_n[/itex].

Note that [itex]\sum_n m_n \mathbf r_n = 0[/itex] by definition of the center of mass.

The angular momentum of the system of particles with respect to the center of mass is
[tex]L_{CoM} = \sum_n m_n \mathbf r_n \times \dot{\mathbf r}_n[/tex]
The angular momentum of the system of particles with respect to the origin is
[tex]
\begin{aligned}
L &= \sum_n m_n (\mathbf R+\mathbf r_n) \times (\dot{\mathbf R}+\dot{\mathbf r}_n) \\
&= \sum_n m_n\mathbf R\times\dot{\mathbf R} +
\sum_n m_n\mathbf R\times\dot{\mathbf r}_n +
\sum_n m_n\mathbf r_n\times\dot{\mathbf R} +
\sum_n m_n\mathbf r_n\times\dot{\mathbf r}_n \\
&= \mathbf R\times M\dot{\mathbf R} +
\mathbf R\times\frac{d}{dt}\left(\sum_n m_n\mathbf r_n\right) +
\left(\sum_n m_n\mathbf r_n\right)\times \dot{\mathbf R} +
L_{CoM}
\end{aligned}[/tex]
The sum [itex]\sum_n m_n\mathbf r_n[/itex] vanishes by definition of center of mass and thus
[tex]L = \mathbf R\times M\dot{\mathbf R} + L_{CoM}[/tex]

Thanks. That was the same as mine but much neater.

What is angular momentum at a distance?

Angular momentum at a distance refers to the measure of rotational motion of an object around an axis that is located at a certain distance from the object.

How is angular momentum at a distance calculated?

Angular momentum at a distance is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the object by its angular velocity.

What is the relationship between distance and angular momentum?

The distance between an object and its axis of rotation has a direct impact on its angular momentum. The farther the distance, the greater the angular momentum.

Can angular momentum at a distance be changed?

Yes, angular momentum at a distance can be changed by either changing the object's angular velocity or the distance between the object and its axis of rotation.

What are some real-life examples of angular momentum at a distance?

Some examples of angular momentum at a distance include a spinning top, a revolving door, and a planet orbiting around the sun.