1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum eigenfunctions

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is problem 18.1 from Merzbacher.

"The hamiltonian of a rigid rotator in a magnetic field perpendicular to the x axis is of the form [itex]H=AL^2+BL_z+CL_y[/itex], if the term \that is quadratic in the field is neglected. Obtain the exact energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian."

2. Relevant equations

[tex]L^2Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)=l(l+1)\hbar^2 Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

[tex]L_ZY_l^m(\theta,\phi)=m\hbarY_l^m(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

[tex]L_Y Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{2\imath}(L_+-L_-)Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

[tex]L_+ Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)=\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar Y_l^{m+1}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

[tex]L_- Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)=\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m-1)}\hbar Y_l^{m-1}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first two parts of the hamiltonian the answer is easy:

[tex]E=Al(l+1)\hbar^2+Bm\hbar[/tex]

But what is the eigenvalue for the last part (of [itex]L_Y[/itex])? Is it just

[tex]

C\left[\frac{\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar-\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m-1)}\hbar}{2\imath}
    \right]
    [/tex]

?

And for the eigenfunctions: for the first two parts of H it is just the spherical harmonics, but for the last part is it both

[tex]Y_l^{m+1}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

and

[tex]Y_l^{m-1}(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

?

Many days without sleep. THis is an easy question I know, please don't judge me I am sleep deprived :)

IHateMayonnaise

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you act on the state [itex]Y_{\ell}{}^{m}(\theta,\phi)[/itex] with the Hamiltonian, do you get a constant multiple of [itex]Y_{\ell}{}^{m}(\theta,\phi)[/itex] ? If not, it isn't an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian.

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    Right! This is what confused me. So I guess it cannot be an eigenfunction, and the only one is the regular old spherical harmonic.

And the eigenvalue is just

[tex]
    C\left[\frac{\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar-\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m-1)}\hbar}{2\imath}
    \right][/tex]

?

Of course this could be simplified..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook