Angular Momentum (Not the usual Turntable Question)

In summary, a dog of mass m walking once around the circumference of a stationary horizontal turntable of rotational inertia I and radius R will make a fraction of a full circle with respect to the ground. To find this fraction, we must consider the torque acting about the point of hinge (centre of the table) by the force-pair which causes the dog to move forward. The initial and final angular momentums are equal to zero, and there is no need to find final velocities using the conservation of angular momentum equation.
divineyang

Homework Statement

A dog of mass m is standing on the edge of a stationary horizontal turntable of totational inertia I and radius R. The dog walks once around the circumference of the turntable.

What fraction of a full circle does the dog's motion make with respect to the ground? Express your answer in terms of m, I and R. Ignore friction at the axle of the turntable.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

The turntable will rotate in the opposite direction as motion of the dog. Hence initial angular momentum = final angular momentum = zero.

Final angular momentum = Angular momentum of the dog wrt the ground - angular momentum of the table wrt the ground = 0

Is it correct so far?

I'm not sure as to how to proceed after that. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that will lead you to the right answer. We don't need to find any final velocities (so I think no use of applying COAM).
I will give you a hint.
Consider the torque acting about the point of hinge (centre of the table) by the force-pair which causes the dog to move forward.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes its tendency to keep rotating at a constant speed in a constant direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates).

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's translational motion. Angular momentum depends on both the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum only depends on the object's mass and velocity.

4. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. This principle is often used to explain the behavior of objects in motion, such as planets orbiting around a star.

5. How does angular momentum affect the stability of an object?

Objects with a higher angular momentum tend to be more stable, as they have a greater resistance to changes in their rotational motion. This is why objects like spinning tops and gyroscopes can maintain their balance even when external forces act upon them.