Angular Momentum of a billiard ball

In summary, to get a billiard ball to roll without sliding from the start, the cue must hit the ball at a distance of 2/5 times the radius of the ball above the center. This is found by setting the conditions for zero acceleration at the contact point, using Newton's laws for translation and rotation.
Destrio
To get a billiard ball to roll without sliding from the start, the cue must hit the ball not at the center (that is, a height above the table equal to the ball's radius, r) but at exactly at a height of 2r/5 above the centre. Prove the result.

For a ball to roll without slipping, it must have tangential velocity twice that of its velocity of the centre of mass.
so tangengial speed = ωr

at the point where the wheel contact the surface must be at rest
vcm - ωr = 0
vcm = ωr

L=Iω = Ip/mr
p = Lmr/I

so for conversation of momentum
mvcmi = mvcmf + Lmr/I
Δvcm = Lr/I

I for a sphere = (2/5)mr^2
where r is where the ball needs to hit

Δvcm = L/(2/5)mr
(2/5)mΔvcm/L = r
(2/5)Δp/L = r
(2/5)r = r

these last few steps don't seem right?
are they? am i even correct up to there?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just braindead tonight, but I'm having a bit of trouble following your reasoning. Think in terms of forces. The cue applies a force at some distance above the center. That force creates an acceleration of the center of mass and an angular acceleration about the center of mass. Set the condition for zero acceleration of the contact point (same as rolling without slipping) and solve for that distance.

It's perfectly OK to think in terms of an impulse that produces a velocity of the center of mass as well as a angular velocity. Perhaps that's closer to how you are thinking. (But when I see "conservation of momentum", I get confused. You're hitting the ball!)

And don't use the same letter (r) to stand for the radius of the sphere and the position of the strike.

Last edited:
F = ma
will this force be equal to the torque from the force?
F = ma = T = Iɑ
ma = Iɑ

ma = ɑ(2/5)mr^2
a = ɑ(2/5)r^2

rolling without slipping so:
vcm = ωr
vcm/t = ɑr
vcm/rt = ɑ
and
a = vcm/t

a = ɑ(2/5)r^2
vcm/t = (vcm/rt)(2/5)r^2
r = 5/2 = 2.5

is this the answer I am supposed to get?

thanks

Destrio said:
F = ma
will this force be equal to the torque from the force?
F = ma = T = Iɑ
ma = Iɑ
Yikes. Don't set torque = force!

You have two equations from Newton's 2nd law:
[tex]F = m a[/tex]

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

Let the strike be placed at a distance "d" above the center. Rewrite the torque equation:
[tex]F d = I \alpha = 2/5 m r^2 \alpha[/tex]

Combine those two equations (with the condition of rolling without slipping) to solve for d.

F = ma
T = Iɑ
Fd = Iɑ = a(2/5)mr^2

rolling without slipping so:
vcm = ωr
vcm/t = ɑr
vcm/rt = ɑ
and
a = vcm/t

mad = ɑ(2/5)mr^2
ad = ɑ(2/5)r^2
dvcm/t = (vcm/rt)(2/5)r^2
d = (2/5)r

there we go!

thanks

Good. Here's how I would do it:

Starting with Newton's law for translation:
[tex]F = m a[/tex]

And rotation:
[tex]F d = I \alpha = 2/5 m r^2 \alpha = 2/5 m r^2 (a/r) = 2/5 m r a[/tex]

Multiply the first by d and set equal to the second:
[tex]m a d = 2/5 m r a[/tex]
[tex]d = 2/5r[/tex]

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the amount of rotational energy an object has.

2. How is angular momentum related to billiard balls?

In the context of billiards, angular momentum is important because it determines how the ball will move and spin after being struck by a cue. The direction and speed of the ball's rotation are determined by its angular momentum.

3. How is angular momentum conserved in billiard ball collisions?

Angular momentum is conserved in billiard ball collisions, meaning that the total angular momentum before and after the collision will be the same. This means that the sum of the angular momenta of all the balls involved in the collision will remain constant.

4. How does the mass and velocity of a billiard ball affect its angular momentum?

The mass and velocity of a billiard ball both play a role in determining its angular momentum. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater angular momentum. This is because both factors contribute to the ball's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

5. Can the angular momentum of a billiard ball be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a billiard ball can be changed. This can be done by applying a torque, such as by striking the ball with a cue or another ball. The direction and magnitude of the torque will affect the resulting change in angular momentum.