Angular momentum of a uniform bar w/ two forces applied

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular momentum for a rotating bar. The length of the bar is given, and it is rotating from rest about an axis. The formula for angular momentum is mentioned, and the individual tries to apply it to the given scenario. The moment of inertia is also mentioned, and the forces acting on the bar are considered. The concept of torque is mentioned as a way to increase or decrease angular momentum. Ultimately, the individual is unsure of how to incorporate the forces into the equation and is trying to find a way to calculate the derivative of angular momentum.
Linus Pauling
1. The uniform bar shown in the diagram has a length of 0.80 m. The bar begins to rotate from rest in the horizontal plane about the axis passing through its left end. What will be the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar 6.0 s after the motion has begun? The forces acting on the bar are shown.

170580A.jpg

2. L = Iw, L = I(alpha)t

3. I know that I = (1/3)mL^2 = 16m/75

So, L = (16m/75)*6sec*alpha

Am I going about this correctly so far? How do I bring the forces into the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you apply to a rigid, rotating body to increase/decrease it's angular momentum?

... torque. I still don't see what I'm doing. net torque = 4*.6*sin(90) = 2.4 = the derivative of L

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its moment of inertia with its angular velocity vector. In the case of a uniform bar with two forces applied, the formula is L = I * ω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

How do the forces affect the angular momentum of a uniform bar?

The two forces applied to a uniform bar will cause it to rotate around its axis of rotation, thereby changing its angular velocity. This change in angular velocity will result in a change in the angular momentum of the bar.

What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The torque applied to an object is directly proportional to its angular momentum, meaning that the greater the torque, the greater the change in angular momentum.