Angular momentum of the EM field of rotating sphere

In summary, the angular momentum of the electromagnetic field is defined as the integral of the field angular momentum over all space. When solving for a rotating sphere, there are two cases to consider - when the radius is less than the sphere's radius (r < R) and when it is greater (r > R). However, it turns out that there is only one solution, which involves integrating the field angular momentum over both cases. This is because we are integrating over all space or the entire field. There is no need to split the integral and we can simply integrate from 0 to R in both cases.
Shinobii
The angular momentum of the electromagnetic field is defined as,

$$
\vec{L_{em}} = \int \vec{l_{em}} d^3r.
$$

To solve this for a rotating sphere I must consider the cases where r < R and r > R.

When I did this problem I thought that there would be two solutions, one for both cases; however, it turns out that there is one solution,

$$
\vec{L_{em}} = \int \vec{l_{em}}_{(r<R)} \, d^3r + \int \vec{l_{em}}_{(r>R)} \, d^3r.
$$

Can anyone tell me why that is? Conceptually I do not understand what is going here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also for the integration, would I integrate the r < R case from [itex] \int_0^R = \int_0^r + \int_r^R [/itex] and the case of r > R, [itex] \int_R^{\infty} [/itex]?

Or would I simply just integrate [itex] \int_0^R [/itex] for both cases, without splitting the integral.

Last edited:
I suppose when calculating the field angular momentum, we do not need to split the r < R integral [itex] \int_0^R [/itex]. I also understand now that we are integrating over all space or over the entire field.

1. How is angular momentum defined for the EM field of a rotating sphere?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. For the EM field of a rotating sphere, it is defined as the product of the angular velocity of the sphere and its moment of inertia.

2. Is the angular momentum of the EM field conserved for a rotating sphere?

Yes, the angular momentum of the EM field for a rotating sphere is conserved. This means that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

3. How does the angular momentum of the EM field change when the rotation speed of the sphere is altered?

The angular momentum of the EM field is directly proportional to the rotation speed of the sphere. As the rotation speed increases, so does the angular momentum of the EM field.

4. Can the direction of the angular momentum of the EM field change?

Yes, the direction of the angular momentum of the EM field can change. It is dependent on the direction of rotation of the sphere.

5. What is the role of the moment of inertia in the calculation of the angular momentum of the EM field for a rotating sphere?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It plays a crucial role in the calculation of the angular momentum of the EM field for a rotating sphere as it is directly proportional to the angular momentum.