1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum operator acting on |j,m>

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [itex]e^{-i \pi J_x} \mid j,m \rangle =e^{-i \pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]J_x \mid j,m \rangle =\frac{\hbar}{2} [\sqrt{(j-m)(j+m+1)} \mid j,m+1 \rangle +[/itex]
    [itex]\sqrt{(j+m)(j-m+1)} \mid j,m-1 \rangle][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Expanding [itex]e^{-i \pi J_x}[/itex] to a power series and applying the equation in #2, I come up with an expression with coefficients for [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m+1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m-1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m+2 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\mid j,m-2 \rangle[/itex], and so on as far as the quantum number j allows. I will focus on the [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex] term.

[itex]\left\{ 1+ \sum _{n=1} ^\infty \frac{(i \pi \hbar)^{2n} \left[\sqrt{(j-m)^{2n} (j+m+1)^{2n}} +\sqrt{(j+m)^{2n} (j-m+1)^{2n}}\right]}{2^{n+1} (2n)!} +\sum _{n=1} ^\infty \frac{(i \pi \hbar)^{2n+2} \left[\sqrt{(j-m)^{2n} (j+m+1)^{2n} (j-m-1)^{2n} (j+m+2)^{2n}} +\sqrt{(j+m)^{2n} (j-m+1)^{2n} (j+m-1)^{2n} (j-m+2)^{2n}}\right]}{2^{n+3} (2n+2)!} +... \right\} \mid j,m \rangle[/itex]
    This coefficient goes on for as long as quantum number j allows.

The right side of the equation I am trying to prove has no operators, so the only non-zero coefficient I should have is the one for [itex]\mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]. This means that the coefficient for [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex] should be 0 for all cases except when [itex]m=0[/itex].

The above series does converge, but to what it converges seems to depend on j and m. I have manipulated the series a couple different ways, but I have been unable to show that it equals 0 for all values of m except 0. I wonder if I am making this more difficult that it has to be. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2
    Well you could always cheat and notice that all you're doing is turning a spherical harmonic upside-down :smile:

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    Your tip led me to realize that it would be simpler to think of it as a rotation applied to [itex]\mid j,m \rangle[/itex]. Then, I can use the Wigner D-matrix to simplify the expression:
    [itex]R(\alpha , \beta , \gamma) \mid j,m \rangle =\sum _{m'=-j} ^j D _{m'm} ^{(j)} (\alpha , \beta , \gamma) \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]

[itex]e^{-i \pi J_x}[/itex] can be written as [itex]e^{-i (-\frac{\pi}{2}) J_z} e^{-i \pi J_y} e^{-i \frac{\pi}{2} J_z}=R(-\frac{\pi}{2}, \pi , \frac{\pi}{2})[/itex].

Now I can use the Wigner D-matrix equation:
    [itex]R(-\frac{\pi}{2}, \pi , \frac{\pi}{2}) \mid j,m \rangle =\sum _{m'=-j} ^j D _{m'm} ^{(j)} (-\frac{\pi}{2} , \pi , \frac{\pi}{2}) \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
    [itex]=\sum _{m'=-j} ^j e^{-i(-m' \pi /2 +m \pi /2)} d _{m'm} ^{(j)} \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
    [itex]=(-1)^{j-m} \sum _{m'=-j} ^j e^{-i(-m' \pi /2 +m \pi /2)} \delta _{m',-m} \mid j,m' \rangle[/itex]
    [itex]=(-1)^{j-m} e^{-i(m \pi /2 + m \pi /2)} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex]

So I'm close now, but it seems like they set [itex]m=j[/itex] to get to [itex]e^{-i \pi j} \mid j,-m \rangle[/itex], and I don't know why that step would be made.

5. Aug 11, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] (-1)^{j-m} e^{-i(m\pi/2+m\pi/2)} = (-1)^{j-m} e^{-im\pi} = (-1)^{j-m} (e^{-i\pi})^m = (-1)^{j-m} (-1)^m = (-1)^{j-m+m} = (-1)^j = (e^{-i\pi})^j = e^{-i\pi j} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook