Angular separation help here :p

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the angular separation between 1st order red and 1st order violet for a diffraction grating, given a theta of 22 degrees and d of 1.20x10^-6. The equation n(lambda)=dsin(theta) is used, and the information about the violet line is used to find the angle for the red line, which is then used to calculate the angular separation.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

the question is:calculate angular separation between 1st order red and 1st order violet.data given:theta=22,d=1.20x10^-6

Homework Equations

theta=a/D ( is that the 1?)
and if it is dn what would the function be hmm tan? (isnt it related to stellar distances)

The Attempt at a Solution

hmm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
More information is needed.

What is this question in reference to? A prism ? Diffraction by a single or double slit ? Diffraction grating ? Something else?

Also, what are the wavelengths for "red" and "violet"?EDIT:
Click on the words "diffraction", "double slit", or "diffraction grating" above for equations.

b)white light containing a spread of wavelengths ranging from 450nm(Violet) to 700nm(Red) is incident normally on a diffraction grating.it is observed that the first-order violet line occurs at angle22.

1)calculate d.
2)calculate angular separation between first order red and first order violet.
3)show that 2nd spectrum of violet(7oo)nm will not be present.
4)state what would be seen at angle=0

well from above the question i solved d where i mentioned above ,question 3 and 4 are simple where i need to prove thru the formula but part 2 is where I am confused.

For a diffraction grating, use the same equation you gave in your other question:
ibysaiyan said:

Homework Equations

n(lambda)=dsin(theta)

You can use the information about the violet line for part (1). After that, get the angle for the red line to help with part (2).

Redbelly98 said:
For a diffraction grating, use the same equation you gave in your other question:

You can use the information about the violet line for part (1). After that, get the angle for the red line to help with part (2).

so the angle which i get from part(2) would give me the angle separation ?

Not quite. You need to find the separation (i.e. the difference) between that angle, and the angle of the 1st-order violet line.

ah,k was thinking of that

tyvm =)

1. What is angular separation?

Angular separation is a measurement of the distance between two objects in the sky, as seen from a specific vantage point, typically on Earth. It is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds of arc.

2. How is angular separation calculated?

Angular separation is calculated using trigonometry, specifically the law of cosines. This takes into account the distance between the two objects, as well as their positions relative to the observer.

3. What is angular separation used for?

Angular separation is often used in astronomy and navigation to determine the distance between celestial objects or to pinpoint their locations in the sky. It is also used in satellite tracking and surveying.

4. How does angular separation differ from angular distance?

Angular separation measures the distance between two objects, while angular distance measures the distance between an object and a reference point or line. For example, the angular separation between two stars is the distance between them, while the angular distance from the horizon to a star is measured as its altitude.

5. Can angular separation change over time?

Yes, angular separation can change over time as the objects move relative to each other. This is especially true for objects in orbit, such as satellites or planets, whose positions are constantly changing in the sky.