Minimum angular separation for viewing stars

In summary, the Rayleigh criterion states that the angular separation an eye could resolve when viewing two stars is θ=(1.22*λ)/D. This problem does not give very much to go on so I think there's a trick I'm missing. I tried estimating using λ=550 nm and D≈5.0 mm (which I got from the problem just before it), but this was incorrect. Our book also states that the best resolution of the human eye is 5e-4 rad, although I'm not sure how they came by this number and it is not the correct answer. I'm not really sure where to go with this one though, especially given so little information.
grouper

Homework Statement

What is the minimum angular separation an eye could resolve when viewing two stars, considering only diffraction effects?

Homework Equations

Rayleigh criterion: θ=(1.22*λ)/D

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem doesn't give very much to go on so I think there's a trick I'm missing. I tried estimating using λ=550 nm and D≈5.0 mm (which I got from the problem just before it), but this was incorrect. Our book also states that the best resolution of the human eye is 5e-4 rad, although I'm not sure how they came by this number and it is not the correct answer. I'm not really sure where to go with this one though, especially given so little information.

Physics news on Phys.org
what did you get in your estimate?
I got 1.34 x 10^-4 radians

That is what I got as well but that is not the correct answer. Perhaps I should have included the following equations as well (derived from Rayleigh):

circular aperture diffraction:

dark rings: sinθ=1.22*(λ/D) or 2.23*(λ/D) or 3.24*(λ/D), etc.

bright rings: sinθ=1.63*(λ/D) or 2.68*(λ/D) or 3.70*(λ/D), etc.

Still doesn't help much though because it yields the same estimates. This problem must not be looking for estimates. I think it has something to do with treating the stars like diffraction points but I'm not really sure if that's correct or how to do that.

I can't see anything wrong with the way we have worked it out... it is a standard textbook exercise.
What has been given as the 'correct answer'?

It's an online thing so it tells me when I get it wrong but I can't see the right answer unless I want to give up and lose that point. I'll think about it some more.

could you get the correct answer by using different (but reasonable) values for λ and D?

No, I tried that. I don't think estimation is what this problem is getting at. There's got to be some way to tease some of the variables out; perhaps by assuming the distance to be infinity, even though that's not correct. I'll keep playing around with it; it's due this weekend.

What is the minimum angular separation for viewing stars?

The minimum angular separation for viewing stars varies depending on the specific stars being observed and the equipment being used. However, for most amateur telescopes, a minimum angular separation of 1 arcsecond is recommended for clear viewing.

Why is the minimum angular separation important for viewing stars?

The minimum angular separation is important because it determines the amount of detail that can be seen in a star system. If the angular separation is too small, the stars will appear blurred together and it will be difficult to distinguish individual stars or features within the system.

How can the minimum angular separation be calculated?

The minimum angular separation can be calculated using the formula: sin(angular separation) = star's diameter / distance from Earth. This will give the minimum angle at which the stars can be resolved by the human eye or a telescope.

Is the minimum angular separation the same for all stars?

No, the minimum angular separation will vary for different stars depending on their size and distance from Earth. For example, stars that are closer to Earth may have a smaller minimum angular separation compared to stars that are farther away.

Can the minimum angular separation be improved with more advanced equipment?

Yes, more advanced telescopes and equipment, such as adaptive optics, can improve the minimum angular separation for viewing stars. This allows for clearer and more detailed observations of stars with smaller angular separations.