Angular speed of wrapper string

In summary, the problem involves a hoop with a radius of 8.00 cm and a mass of 0.180 kg being released from rest with a string wrapped around it. After descending 60.0 cm, the angular speed and speed at the center need to be calculated. The equations that may be useful in solving this problem include w = omega, w = w+at, and K = 1/2 I w^2. Additionally, using energy conservation by adding linear kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy to the list of equations may also be helpful in finding a solution.
seroth

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 8.00 cm and mass 0.180 kg . The free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest (the figure ). After the hoop has descended 60.0 cm, calculate angular speed and speed at the center

Homework Equations

w= omega

w = w+ at
K = 1/2 I w^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really unsure how to approach this problem and don't exactly know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energy conservation. Add linear KE=(1/2)*m*v^2 and gravitational potential energy PE=mgh to your list of equations.

. However, based on the given information, we can use the equation w= v/r to find the angular speed of the hoop. Since the hoop is released from rest, its initial angular speed is 0. We can then use the equation w = w0 + at to find the final angular speed after the hoop has descended 60.0 cm.

To find the speed at the center of the hoop, we can use the equation v = rw, where r is the radius of the hoop. Plugging in the values, we can calculate the speed at the center of the hoop after it has descended 60.0 cm.

To determine the kinetic energy of the hoop, we can use the equation K = 1/2 I w^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the hoop. We can calculate the moment of inertia using the formula for a hoop, I = mr^2. Plugging in the values, we can find the kinetic energy of the hoop at the given point.

In summary, to find the angular speed and speed at the center of the hoop, we can use the equations w= v/r and v = rw respectively. To determine the kinetic energy, we can use the equation K = 1/2 I w^2, where I = mr^2 for a hoop.

What is the angular speed of a wrapper string?

The angular speed of a wrapper string refers to the rate at which the string is rotating around its center point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

How is the angular speed of a wrapper string calculated?

The angular speed of a wrapper string can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes for the string to complete one full rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed of the string by the radius of its circular path.

What factors affect the angular speed of a wrapper string?

The angular speed of a wrapper string can be affected by various factors such as the length of the string, the tension in the string, and the mass of the object attached to the string. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the angular speed of the string.

Why is the angular speed of a wrapper string important in science?

The angular speed of a wrapper string is important in science because it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion and can be used to understand and analyze the behavior of objects in circular motion. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

How is the angular speed of a wrapper string related to linear speed?

The angular speed of a wrapper string and the linear speed of the string are directly proportional. This means that as the angular speed increases, the linear speed also increases. This relationship is described by the formula v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular speed.