How Do You Calculate the Angular Speed and Center Speed of a Descending Hoop?

• Thread starter PKay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular speed and speed of the center of a hoop released from rest after descending 60.0cm. The equations used include K=Iω2, U = mgh, ω=v/r, and I = 1/2 mr2. It is stated that the correct formula for a hoop is Ef = 1/2 mv2+1/2 Iω2, with v being the speed of the center of mass and I being the moment of inertia about the center of mass. A source for the equation is provided.
PKay

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 8.00 cm and mass 0.180kg. The free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest. After the hoop has descended 60.0cm , calculate the angular speed of the rotating hoop and the speed of its center.

Homework Equations

K=Iω2
U = mgh
ω=v/r
I = 1/2 mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ei = mgh = (0.180)(9.8)(0.6) = 1.0584
Ef = 1/2 mv2+1/2 Iω2 = 3/4(0.08)2ω2
Ei = Ef
I got ω = 14.9 rad/s (I've also tried 35 rad/s) Is my math wrong or something?

For the second part, I saw somewhere the equation was v=√gh and but I was thinking I could just use ω=v/r but since I didn't have ω I couldn't solve that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, PKay.

I = 1/2 mr2

Is this the correct formula for a hoop?

I think so. The problem is the axis is in the middle for that equation but since it's on the side, I'm not too sure anymore.

Likes 1 person

I would first check the units to make sure they are consistent. In this case, the units for energy (Joules) and mass (kg) are correct, but the units for velocity (m/s) and angular velocity (rad/s) are not consistent. This may be why your calculations are not giving you the correct answer.

To solve for the angular velocity, you can use the equation ω = √(2gh/r), where h is the distance the hoop has descended (60 cm or 0.6 m) and r is the radius of the hoop (8 cm or 0.08 m). Plugging in these values, we get ω = √(2(9.8)(0.6)/0.08) = 17.55 rad/s.

To solve for the speed of the center of the hoop, we can use the equation v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity we just calculated and r is the radius of the hoop. Plugging in these values, we get v = (17.55)(0.08) = 1.404 m/s.

It is always important to check the units and make sure they are consistent in order to get accurate results.

1. What is the purpose of wrapping string around a hoop?

The purpose of wrapping string around a hoop is to create a pattern or design on the hoop, or to reinforce and strengthen the hoop.

2. What materials are typically used for string wrapped hoops?

Common materials used for string wrapped hoops include yarn, embroidery floss, twine, and ribbon.

3. How do you wrap string around a hoop?

To wrap string around a hoop, start by securing one end of the string to the hoop with a knot or glue. Then, wrap the string tightly around the hoop in a desired pattern or design. Once you reach the end, secure the string with another knot or glue.

4. Can you use different colors or types of string on one hoop?

Yes, you can use different colors or types of string on one hoop to create a unique and colorful design.

5. What are some creative ways to use string wrapped hoops?

String wrapped hoops can be used as wall decor, dreamcatchers, mobiles, or even as a base for wreaths or floral arrangements. They can also be used in various crafts and DIY projects.