How Do You Calculate the Angular Speed and Center Speed of a Descending Hoop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PKay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    String
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 14K views
PKay
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 8.00 cm and mass 0.180kg. The free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest. After the hoop has descended 60.0cm , calculate the angular speed of the rotating hoop and the speed of its center.

Homework Equations


K=Iω2
U = mgh
ω=v/r
I = 1/2 mr2

The Attempt at a Solution


Ei = mgh = (0.180)(9.8)(0.6) = 1.0584
Ef = 1/2 mv2+1/2 Iω2 = 3/4(0.08)2ω2
Ei = Ef
I got ω = 14.9 rad/s (I've also tried 35 rad/s) Is my math wrong or something?

For the second part, I saw somewhere the equation was v=√gh and but I was thinking I could just use ω=v/r but since I didn't have ω I couldn't solve that one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, PKay.

I = 1/2 mr2

Is this the correct formula for a hoop?
 
I think so. The problem is the axis is in the middle for that equation but since it's on the side, I'm not too sure anymore.