1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velo, Tangential Acceleration

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    I have computed angular speed, centripetal acceleration, and torque for a uniform circular motion.

What is the tangential acceleration?

I am leaning towards tangential a = r(alpha) where alpha is d(omega)/dt.
    since I have calculated omega and a = dv/dt - I think its safe to
    say that as dt cancels dv = r d(omega) = a tangential?

Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    This is a very strange mathematical manipulation, because dt, is not actually an unknown by itself, and not directly "cancel-able". Tangential a, for uniform circular motion is given by r(omega)2 or v2/r depending on what information you have.

4. Nov 29, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

This is not correct; for one thing the units are not the same (m/s^2 on the right hand side, m/s on the others).

If you start with:

[tex]
    \frac{dv}{dt} = r \frac{d\omega}{dt} = a_t
    [/tex]

(where v is the speed along the circular path and [tex]a_t[/itex] is the tangential acceleration), then you can rewrite this as:

[tex]
    dv = r\ d\omega = a_t\ dt
    [/tex]

so the dt term is now associated with the tangential acceleration.

It's not clear from your post what other information you might have; but you can relate the torque to the total acceleration, and then relate total acceleration to the tangential acceleration.

I don't believe those equations are correct.

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4
    Ah, sorry, my mistake... I was using the equations for radial acceleration. Thanks for pointing it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?