1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity, can someone help?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a laboratory centrifuge has rotor radius (from center of rotor to sample) of 12.0 cm and typically spins at a rate of 2000 rpm. When switched off, it turns through 50.0 revolutions in coming to rest. Find the value of its average angular acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so far I only turned the rpm to radians/s which is the angular velocity but I wasn't sure what to do next

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi knowledgerich! welcome to pf! :smile:
    you have initial speed, final speed, and total distance, and the question asks for acceleration

sooo … just use one of the standard constant acceleration equations (but using angle instead of distance) :wink:

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    is the radius used in this equation? I came up with (-33^2 rad/s)/(2*100π) = -3.5 rad/s^2

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I think the radius was given you to confuse you. (There ought to be more questions like that IMO.)
    What are the units of the '33'?

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the radius would only be needed if they gave you the tangential (linear) speed instead of the angular speed …

eg if they said a wire was coming off the wheel at so-many metres per second :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook