1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity for a physical pendulum

1. Jul 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a physical pendulum made of a leg which mass is ignored, with a length of 1m, two objects of mass are placed on the bottom and the top of the leg, the first with a mass of m1= m1, and the second with a mass of m2= 3m1, both are L/2 away from the pivot point.

It's swayed to an angle of 60 from the equilibrium position, and left to sway with no initial velocity.

Find the angular velocity the moment it goes through the equilibrium position.

Is there any way to find the angular velocity without using ΔEk a⇒b=∑W(F a⇒b)? I don't want to use that.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2015 #2
    Conservation of energy is the simplest approach.

4. Jul 30, 2015 #3
    But the teacher said there is no other possible way to solve it, is this true?

5. Jul 30, 2015 #4
    There are other possible ways to solve it, but they may involve math and physics approaches most introductory students (and some teachers) have not learned yet.

6. Jul 30, 2015 #5
    Can you name some?

I'm not aiming to actually find the velocity, but to know any other approaches to find it for personal knowledge. I'm not even allowed to use any methods outside the course book, even if they're correct.

7. Jul 30, 2015 #6
    Newton's laws, Lagrangian dynamics, ...

8. Jul 30, 2015 #7
    Thanks.

What prior knowledge do I need/should have before learning lagrangian dynamics?

9. Jul 30, 2015 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted