Angular velocity of a rod - translational KE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular velocity for a homogenous rod released from a horizontal position. One approach uses energy conservation, using rotational energy and gravitational potential energy, while the other approach considers translational kinetic energy. However, it is explained that both approaches need to take into account the rotational energy about the center of mass in order to yield the correct answer. The conversation also touches on the concept of Lagrangian mechanics and the integration of velocity along the rod.
Alettix
Hello! :)

When solving a problem, I had to calculate the angular velocity of a homogenius rod when it comes to vertical position, after being released from a horisontal position (the rod is fixed at one end). This is as usually done with energy conservation, using the rotational energy of the rod and setting it equal to the change in gravitational potential energy. If the length of the rod is L and its mass m, the following is obtained (Δh=L/2):

mL2/3 *ω2/2 = mgL/2
--> ω = (3g/L)^(1/2)

However, I started wondering if this problem could be solved using translational kinetic energy instead. If we consider the center of mass (CM):

mv2/2 = mgL/2
--> v = (Lg)^(1/2)
--> ω = v/(L/2) = 2 (g/L)^(1/2)

As seen, this does not yield the same answer as if we use rotational kinetic energy.
My question is: Why can't translational kinetic energy be used to calculate the angular velocity? or if it can be used: Where am I thinking wrong?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 333 FFF. 74.png
    333 FFF. 74.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Quick question.
How familiar are you with Lagrangian mechanics?

You can use translational energy but would still have to include the rotational energy about the center of mass.
Consider a 2 sticks sliding across ice.
If one was rotating and the other was not rotating then there would have to be a difference in their total energies.

copper-head said:
Quick question.
How familiar are you with Lagrangian mechanics?

Not at all unfortunately. I am still high school.

J Hann said:
You can use translational energy but would still have to include the rotational energy about the center of mass.
Consider a 2 sticks sliding across ice.
If one was rotating and the other was not rotating then there would have to be a difference in their total energies.

Yes, I understand that there must be a difference between the energy of the two sticks. However, how comes that we never calculate with rotational energy around the pivot point when considering a mass on a thread? What makes the case with the center of mass of the rod different?

You could use rotational energy, but its more straightforward to use translational energy.
m g h = m V^2 / 2 translational KE
m g h = 1/2 I w^2 = 1/2 (m L^2) w^2 = 1/2 m V^2 rotational KE
Same thing.

Alettix said:
Yes, I understand that there must be a difference between the energy of the two sticks. However, how comes that we never calculate with rotational energy around the pivot point when considering a mass on a thread? What makes the case with the center of mass of the rod different?
The rotational energy of a rod (or any rigid body) is the sum of the translational energies of its tiny pieces.

Likes Alettix
Alettix said:
Why can't translational kinetic energy be used to calculate the angular velocity? or if it can be used:
You can think of the motion of the rod at some instant as the sum of a linear motion of its mass centre plus a rotation about that mass centre. Each contributes to the total KE. Your translational energy assessment lost the rotational energy.
Another way to think about it is to consider ehild's point that the total KE is the sum of all the little KEs. If the KE of a small piece of the rod were proportional to its distance from the axis then reducing it to the motion of the mass centre would work. But its the velocity of a piece that's proportional to the distance from the axis, and as we know, the KE rises as the square of the velocity. So the parts further from the axis carry disproportionately more KE. That puts the effective mass centre (for this purpose) further from the axis, so with a higher velocity than the mass centre.

Likes Alettix
haruspex said:
You can think of the motion of the rod at some instant as the sum of a linear motion of its mass centre plus a rotation about that mass centre. Each contributes to the total KE. Your translational energy assessment lost the rotational energy.
Another way to think about it is to consider ehild's point that the total KE is the sum of all the little KEs. If the KE of a small piece of the rod were proportional to its distance from the axis then reducing it to the motion of the mass centre would work. But its the velocity of a piece that's proportional to the distance from the axis, and as we know, the KE rises as the square of the velocity. So the parts further from the axis carry disproportionately more KE. That puts the effective mass centre (for this purpose) further from the axis, so with a higher velocity than the mass centre.

Thank you very much Sir! This explained a lot!
So, does this also mean that I could use kinetic energy if I integrate v along the rod?

Alettix said:
Thank you very much Sir! This explained a lot!
So, does this also mean that I could use kinetic energy if I integrate v along the rod?
If you integrate v2 along the rod, yes.

haruspex said:
If you integrate v2 along the rod, yes.

I tried to do it, but something is wrong. Could you lend me some help, please?

I divide the rod in small segments with mass dm. For a segment at distance r from the pivot point:
dm * rg = dm * v^2/2 (1)
--> v2 = 2rg (2)
Now, I don't really know which integration boundaries I should set. I thought that maybe I could get an average speed is I integrated v2 from r = 0 to r = L, and divided with L. If I have done it correctly, this yields vrms = (Lg)^(1/2) . But this can't really be right, because this is the speed at the center of mass, and as previously discussed this doesn't give the right answer.

I also thought that I could rewrite (2) in terms of angular velocity, which gave: ω2 = 2g/r . However, something must be wrong here. It looks like the angular velocity is dependent on the distance from the pivot point, but the angular velocity must be constant for all "sections" along the rod!

Alettix said:
I tried to do it, but something is wrong. Could you lend me some help, please?

I divide the rod in small segments with mass dm. For a segment at distance r from the pivot point:
dm * rg = dm * v^2/2 (1)
Since v depends on r, you need to make r the integration variable. Replace dm with ##\rho dr## and write v as a function of r.

haruspex said:
Since v depends on r, you need to make r the integration variable. Replace dm with ##\rho dr## and write v as a function of r.
But even if ## dm = dr \cdot \rho## , it will cancel out as ##dm## is present on both sides of the equation, won't it?

Alettix said:
But even if ## dm = dr \cdot \rho## , it will cancel out as ##dm## is present on both sides of the equation, won't it?
You mean, an r will cancel? No. The rod is rigid. The PE lost by an element does not necessarily provide the KE for that element. This equation:
Alettix said:
dm * rg = dm * v^2/2 (1)
is not correct. Only when you integrate both sides does it become correct.

Likes Alettix
So if ## dm = A \rho dr## where A is the cross-sectional area of the rod:
## \int_{0}^{L} A \rho g r dr = \int_{0}^{L} \frac{A \rho v^2 dr}{2} ##
## \frac{gL^2}{2} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{L} v^2 dr ##

Now, ##v= r \cdot \omega## , thus:
## \frac{gL^2}{2} = \frac{\omega^2}{2} \int_{0}^{L} r^2 dr ##
which yields ## \omega = \sqrt\frac{3g}{L} ##
which is the same answer as obtained when using rotational energy.

Thank you very much for your help Sir!

Alettix said:
So if ## dm = A \rho dr## where A is the cross-sectional area of the rod:
## \int_{0}^{L} A \rho g r dr = \int_{0}^{L} \frac{A \rho v^2 dr}{2} ##
## \frac{gL^2}{2} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{L} v^2 dr ##

Now, ##v= r \cdot \omega## , thus:
## \frac{gL^2}{2} = \frac{\omega^2}{2} \int_{0}^{L} r^2 dr ##
which yields ## \omega = \sqrt\frac{3g}{L} ##
which is the same answer as obtained when using rotational energy.

Thank you very much for your help Sir!
Good stuff.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is typically expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is angular velocity related to translational kinetic energy?

The angular velocity of a rod is directly related to its translational kinetic energy. As the angular velocity increases, the translational kinetic energy of the rod also increases. This relationship is described by the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a rod?

The angular velocity of a rod is affected by its moment of inertia, the force applied to it, and the distance from the axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia or a greater force will increase the angular velocity, while a shorter distance from the axis of rotation will also result in a higher angular velocity.

4. How is the angular velocity of a rod calculated?

The angular velocity of a rod can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (θ) by the time it takes for the rod to rotate that amount (t). This formula can be expressed as ω = θ/t.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding angular velocity and translational kinetic energy?

Understanding the relationship between angular velocity and translational kinetic energy is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It can be used to analyze the motion of rotating objects, such as gears and wheels, and to optimize the performance of machines and vehicles. It is also crucial in understanding the mechanics of sports movements, such as throwing and hitting a ball.