Angular velocity of suspended rod

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a uniform rod of length L and mass m that is suspended from one end. The problem asks to find the angular velocity of the rod when it is shifted from a vertical position to a horizontal position and then released. Two different solutions are provided, with one using the conservation of energy and the other considering the change in torque and angular acceleration. The correct solution is determined to be the one that takes into account the changing torque and angular acceleration.
Prathamesh

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length L & mass m is suspended through an end. It is shifted through an angle of π/2 radian i.e. made horizontal and then released. Find angular velocity when rod is vertical.[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to a problem is attached
with this post.

But

Solution says
By energy conservation law
1/2 I ω2= mg L/2
(ω = angular velocity)
Hence
ω=√ (3g/L)

Which one is correct? N why other is wrong?[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20160626_173619.jpg
    IMG_20160626_173619.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
but in your soln you have assumed that torque remains constant throughout which is wrong
You must correct it and integerate to get the right answer

Likes Prathamesh and Sahil Dhull
Nope...i ve found the torque acting on the rod when it is in hzt position only... and hence angular acceleration (alpha) also changes with theta...so by putting theta =π/2 i ve found w

What is the concept of angular velocity?

The angular velocity of a suspended rod refers to the rate at which the rod rotates around a fixed point. It is a measure of how quickly the rod is changing its angle over time.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

What factors affect the angular velocity of a suspended rod?

The angular velocity of a suspended rod depends on the length of the rod, the mass of the rod, and the force acting on the rod.

How does angular velocity differ from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotational motion of an object, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

Why is angular velocity important in physics?

Angular velocity is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects. It is used to calculate the centripetal force and is also relevant in fields such as astronomy, engineering, and biomechanics.