Angular velocity vs normal velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force and rotational acceleration on a stationary rod when a force is applied at a certain distance from its center of mass. The homework equations mentioned are Newton's 2nd law for translation and rotation, and the attempt at a solution involves using these equations to understand the behavior of the rod. The conversation concludes with the mention of applying this concept in a physics engine.
DominicF

Homework Statement

Okay, imagine there is a rod floating in space, except its not moving and not rotating. you are stationary next to the rod. you decide to push the rode with your finger at a spot "x" distance away from it's centre of mass. how much of that force will turn into plain speed and how much will turn into angular velocity. because the rod won't just move, it will also start spinning.

Homework Equations

I think this is really what i want to find out, equations that will help me understand what is going on, and a way to solve this kind of thing in the future.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have one at all. Each line of thought i have usually ends with me realising that's wrong! Anyway, this is not dreadfully urgent but i am quite curious about an answer. :)

Thanks!
Dom

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the translational acceleration of the center of mass, apply Newton's 2nd law for translation: F = ma. (It doesn't matter where you apply the force.)

To find the rotational acceleration (alpha) of the object about its center of mass, apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation: Torque = I alpha. (To calculate the torque, it does matter where the force is applied.)

Ahh yes, Thank you Doc Al. That put me on the right track :). I want to apply this in a physics engine that uses impulses to stop interpenetration. So knowing how to turn those impulses (applied to a point in a certain direction) will affect the rotational velocity is the objective.

Many Thanks.
Dom

What is the difference between angular velocity and normal velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is measured in radians per second. Normal velocity, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the rate of change of linear displacement over time. It is measured in meters per second.

How are angular velocity and normal velocity related?

Angular velocity and normal velocity are related through the radius of rotation. For a given angular velocity, the linear velocity of an object will increase as the radius of rotation increases. This means that an object rotating at a constant angular velocity will have a greater normal velocity if it is located further from the center of rotation.

Which one is more important in describing the motion of a rotating object?

Both angular velocity and normal velocity are important in describing the motion of a rotating object. Angular velocity is important because it tells us how fast the object is rotating, while normal velocity is important because it tells us how fast the object is moving in a linear direction.

Can angular velocity and normal velocity have opposite directions?

Yes, angular velocity and normal velocity can have opposite directions. This can happen when the object is rotating in a circular path while also moving in a linear direction, such as a car driving around a circular track. In this case, the angular velocity will always be perpendicular to the normal velocity.

How can angular velocity and normal velocity be calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. Normal velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in linear displacement by the change in time. Both quantities can also be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the normal velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.