Finding the Spring Constant: Angular Velocity vs Hooke's Law

In summary, the person is conducting an experiment to find the spring constant of a spring using five different methods. The first three methods gave similar values, but the fourth method using position vs. time data resulted in a 25% lower value. The person is wondering if they did something wrong and what assumption was made to cause the discrepancy. They also mention measuring the amplitude of oscillation and questioning the use of angular velocity and acceleration in this experiment. The mass of the spring is unknown and the person is seeking clarification on the calculation involving velocity.
Robert Hilderman
THIS HOMEWORK WAS POSTED IN ANOTHER FORUM, SO NO TEMPLATE
So I'm doing an experiment where I am using five different methods to find the spring constant of a spring. These three values of k should be the same but alas, they are not :( and I am at a loss as to why. The first method was by using hooke's law and finding the displacement and graphing the applied force over displacement (I called this method 1 in the picture below). Method 2 was oscillating the spring attached to a force sensor and having a position sensor under it. I graphed Force over Position (I had the force sensor zeroed at the spring's equilibrium so "position" was the spring's displacement). Method 5 was timing the period of the oscillation and plugging that into k=4pi^2m/T^2. All these methods gave a similar experimental value of k. However, when I used the position vs. time data to find k using angular velocity/acceleration, my values were 25% lower. My calculations are in the picture below. I used the maximum displacement, velocity, and acceleration values which were derived from the graphs. What I'm wondering is 1) did I do something wrong? and if not 2) what assumption is made that makes these values so off. Thank you so much. (In the picture, I accidentally called angular velocity "angular frequency". My bad)
dsf.PNG
Capture.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume 0.0765m is the amplitude of oscillation. How did you measure acceleration?
I don't understand the v/x calculation. The x seems to be the amplitude again, but what is v here? The max velocity? If so, how measured?
What value did you measure for the period?

Edit: why do you refer to angular velocity and angular acceleration? Isn't this just a mass bouncing up and down on the end of a suspended spring?
Any idea what the mass of the spring was?

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain length.

How is the spring constant related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the spring. The proportionality constant in this relationship is the spring constant.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, or how fast an object is rotating. It is measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity related to Hooke's Law?

Angular velocity is not directly related to Hooke's Law. However, when studying the motion of a spring, angular velocity can be used to calculate the frequency and period of oscillation.

How can we use angular velocity to find the spring constant?

By measuring the angular velocity of a spring's oscillations and knowing the mass of the attached object, we can use the equation T = 2π√(m/k) to find the spring constant, where T is the period of oscillation, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.