1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Electric Potential Problem

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge of 2.9*10^-6C is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 2.9*10^-6 C is released from rest at the position (1.15m, 0.550m). And the mass of the second charge is 2.10 g.
    At what distance from the origin does the 2.9*10^-6 charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?

2. Relevant equations

KE (final) = Potential Energy (initial) - PE (final)

3. The attempt at a solution
    There was a part A to this question where I figured out the speed it had at infinity. For the second part, I tried to just solve for r using the same equation but it doesn't work. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

At what distance from the origin does it start?

Now in terms of Potential Energy is concerned when the velocity is 1/2 of the final velocity, then at what radius if you released a charge would it only have 1/2 the previous part's velocity at ∞ ?

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    It starts at 0,0.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Looks to me like it is

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    What should I do with that position? Should I add it to the new radius I get?

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Doesn't the initial position determine the initial potential energy?

8. Feb 24, 2009 #7
    Yes it does....I get it now, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook