Another energy question, sorry.

• Thread starter Matt1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves a horizontal spring shooting a marble at a target on the floor. The marble's mass and the spring's force constant are given, and the initial compression of the spring is also specified. The goal is to find the horizontal distance traveled by the marble before hitting the floor. The initial potential energy is not relevant in this problem, and the energy equation will only give the kinetic energy when the marble hits the floor, which is not enough to solve the problem. Instead, the initial speed and the horizontal motion can be used to find the time of flight and then the horizontal distance traveled. With this method, the correct answer of 0.66 m can be obtained.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring, of force constant 12 N/m is mounted at the edge of a lab benchto shoot marbles at targets on the floor 0.93 m below. A marble of mass 8.3 x 10 -3 Kg is shot from the spring, which is initally compressed a distance of 4.0 cm. How far does the marble travel horizontally before hitting the floor?

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ee =0.5 k x^2
Ek= 0.5 m v^2

time to hit floor
d = 0.5 (g) t^2

and Vx = d / t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ek = Eg+ Ee

then find t then use t to find d, that gave me 1.97 m but the answer in the book was 0.66 m. This may be due to the fact that i do not know the launch angle and could not incorporate it into my calculation. I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eg is at cos 90 = 0

I Suck.

Hi Matt1234! :smile:
Matt1234 said:
Where is Eg while all of this is happening? They miss Eg entirely??

Eg won't help you at all …

The energy equation will only give you the KE when it hits the floor, but that doesn't help since you don't know the angle at which it hits the floor.

Forget Eg (=mgh) …

you know the initial speed, and you know it's horizontal, so go from there, using the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:

Thank you for your help, i got it.

Et = Ee

then used Ee to find the velocity
then found time to hit the floor.

then found d

You no longer suck! :biggrin:

Hehe, well this is my second time taking the course, hopefully i can get a good enough mark to get into the program i like.

1. What is alternative energy?

Alternative energy, also known as renewable energy, is any type of energy that is derived from sources that are naturally replenished. This includes solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy.

2. Why is alternative energy important?

Alternative energy is important because it can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, which contribute to climate change and air pollution. It also offers a sustainable and long-term solution to our energy needs.

3. How is alternative energy generated?

Alternative energy is generated through different methods depending on the type. Solar energy is generated through the use of solar panels, wind energy is generated through wind turbines, hydro energy is generated through the use of water turbines, geothermal energy is generated using heat from the Earth's core, and biomass energy is generated through the burning of organic materials.

4. Is alternative energy expensive?

The cost of alternative energy varies depending on the type and location. However, the cost of alternative energy has been decreasing in recent years due to advancements in technology and government incentives. In the long run, alternative energy can also save money by reducing energy bills.

5. What are the benefits of using alternative energy?

Using alternative energy has numerous benefits, including reducing carbon emissions and air pollution, promoting energy independence and security, creating new job opportunities, and helping to mitigate the effects of climate change.