1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy, how far must a spring be compressed

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Two children are playing a game in which the try to hit a small box on the floor with a marble fired from a spring loaded gun mounted on a table. The target box is horizontal distance D=2.20 m from the edge of the table. Bobby compresses the spring 0.011m but the center of the marble falls 0.27 m short of the center of the box How far should Rhoda compress the spring to score a direct hit? Assume that neither the spring nor ball encounters friction in the gun.

So I know that the ball will leave the gun with initial kinetic energy of 1/2mv^2 = the 1/2 k Δx^2 of the springs potential energy. I tried isolating velocity and using that in my kinematic equation d=v(t)+1/2at^2 and solved for time thinking that maybe I could find the height of the table and find the right velocity from there then work backwards to spring potential energy, but that didn't work because I don't know k or m and am not sure if I as n the right track

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By what factor must the initial velocity increase to reach the box?

Hint: Make use of the fact that initial velocity is horizontal in all cases.

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    New velocity= 1.14(d)/t I can plug that back into my kinetic=spring potential but I still have too may unknowns

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Think in terms of ratios. To increase the velocity by a factor of 1.14, by what factor must Δx increase?

6. Nov 10, 2012 #5

So are you saying that all I had to do to solve this was make a ratio of it all? That sounds far too easy

7. Nov 10, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Yep.
    Sometimes a problem looks harder than it is. :smile:

8. Nov 10, 2012 #7
    Wow...thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook