Another Generic Topic About Physics, Engineering, Maths & Uni Courses

In summary: Do what you enjoy, and if you enjoy physics and maths then go for physics and maths. If you enjoy english then go for english. If you enjoy maths and science then go for maths and science. There is no one 'right' way to do things, it depends on what you want and what you're best at.
AXidenT
Hey guys, I'm in my final year of high school and, like many, am struggling to decide what to do at uni next year.

*Random boring stuff* I do all science and maths subjects and am usually in the top three or so for each depending on the time and how hard I work (if at all), but generally I'm not a super smart genius type person. Of all my subjects, I find the theory in physics to be the most interesting and enjoyable and am quite keen to go a bit deeper with it all. However, my skills aren't limited to maths and physics, let alone science, I'm generally best student in the school at English and am quite "creative" I guess.

Anyway ignoring all that, I've been looking at Physics, Engineering and Maths at Uni. I looked at the courses for each and the ones in Physics and Maths did seem to become far more interesting than those in Engineering. However, everyone seems to imply Engineering is the much more sensible route to take, but for some reason I don't like the idea of doing it (not the right way to think of it, but everyone in my maths classes seem to be heading that way).

Generally, can someone say what each course entails in terms of intullectual demand and where you'd most likely end up? Thanks for your time. :P

BTW, what forum would I post asking how to modify the double slit experiment for an assignment?

Physics news on Phys.org
AXidenT said:
Generally, can someone say what each course entails in terms of intullectual demand and where you'd most likely end up?
This is not a meaningful question. College courses are generally more difficult than high school courses. If you get an engineering degree you'll most likely want to get a job as an engineer.

fss said:
This is not a meaningful question. College courses are generally more difficult than high school courses. If you get an engineering degree you'll most likely want to get a job as an engineer.

Well of course they are more difficult, but there would also be some more suited to varying intulectual abilities. While you may pass one as easily or as readily as another, are some more suitable than others in that regard?

AXidenT said:
Well of course they are more difficult, but there would also be some more suited to varying intulectual abilities. While you may pass one as easily or as readily as another, are some more suitable than others in that regard?

Honors classes? Higher-level classes? "Advanced" classes? It also depends on whether or not your university offers them, or if they will let you skip prerequisites.

AXidenT said:
Hey guys, I'm in my final year of high school and, like many, am struggling to decide what to do at uni next year.

*Random boring stuff* I do all science and maths subjects and am usually in the top three or so for each depending on the time and how hard I work (if at all), but generally I'm not a super smart genius type person. Of all my subjects, I find the theory in physics to be the most interesting and enjoyable and am quite keen to go a bit deeper with it all. However, my skills aren't limited to maths and physics, let alone science, I'm generally best student in the school at English and am quite "creative" I guess.

This isn't really helpful. You've told us that you're good at science and english, but that isn't very important. What's important is: what do you enjoy the most, and what would you want to pass your time with? That are the most important questions:

- Do you enjoy writing texts and would you not mind reading books and writing essays throughout college? Then consider English.
- Do you enjoy delving into mathematical theories and discovering why some mathematical properties are true. Then do mathematics.
- Do you enjoy asking questions about the universe we live in, and do you frequently ask yourself why some things are the way they are? Then do physics.
- Do you enjoy technical systems, and would you likely spend your time building bridges or building airplanes? Then engineering is the thing for you.

Don't do what you're good at, do what you like the best!

Anyway ignoring all that, I've been looking at Physics, Engineering and Maths at Uni. I looked at the courses for each and the ones in Physics and Maths did seem to become far more interesting than those in Engineering. However, everyone seems to imply Engineering is the much more sensible route to take, but for some reason I don't like the idea of doing it (not the right way to think of it, but everyone in my maths classes seem to be heading that way).

Don't do engineering because everybody else do it or because it is more "sensible". Do it because you have a genuine love for the subject and the applications. Not everybody is engineering minded, so it's likely that you're not comfortable in engineering.

If you're in doubt, then try some engineering, math and physics classes in your first year. Then choose to major in whatever you liked best!

Generally, can someone say what each course entails in terms of intullectual demand and where you'd most likely end up? Thanks for your time. :P

In my opinion, all majors you sum up are equal in term of intellectual demand. But of course, courses like english will have a different kind of demand then courses like mathematics. The kind of demand is different, but they're both intellectual demanding.

BTW, what forum would I post asking how to modify the double slit experiment for an assignment?

Homework forums? General physics?

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Physics, Engineering, Maths, or a related field?

There are many career paths that someone with a degree in Physics, Engineering, Maths, or a related field can pursue. Some common options include working in research and development, consulting, data analysis, teaching, or pursuing a graduate degree in a specific area of interest.

2. How difficult are these courses and what kind of skills are needed to succeed?

Courses in Physics, Engineering, Maths, and related fields can be challenging, but with dedication and hard work, they can be mastered. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in math and science, are necessary for success in these courses.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and science to pursue these courses?

While having a strong foundation in math and science can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to have prior knowledge in these subjects to succeed in these courses. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students build the necessary skills and knowledge.

4. What sets these courses apart from other science or engineering courses?

These courses often involve a combination of theoretical and practical applications, requiring students to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems. They also tend to have a strong emphasis on mathematical and quantitative analysis.

5. How can I prepare for these courses before starting university?

To prepare for these courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. You can also start by familiarizing yourself with basic concepts and terminology in these fields, and practicing problem-solving skills. Additionally, reaching out to current students or professors in these fields can provide valuable insights and advice.