Another gravity wave question

In summary, gravitational waves are thought to be caused by the most extreme events in the universe, but it seems that they are not very common.
jnorman
i have read quite a bit about gravity waves, and even worked (as a lab tech) on an early GW experiment at LSU back in the 70s. i have become ever more convinced that the search for GWs is relatively fruitless.

the reason i feel that way is that, given any particular example of an event which would cause GWs, such as exploding star or orbiting binary neutron stars, the center of gravity will not be changed, and local GWs will be smoothed out in very short distance (astronomically speaking).

for any GW to be actually noticeable or measureable at any astronomical distance, the center of gravity of some very massive system would need to be altered significantly, and frankly i can't even think of a single example of how that might occur.

perhaps one of you could please enlighten me on the error of my thinking on this. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jnorman said:
the reason i feel that way is that, given any particular example of an event which would cause GWs, such as exploding star or orbiting binary neutron stars, the center of gravity will not be changed, and local GWs will be smoothed out in very short distance (astronomically speaking).

It's true that the center of gravity can't change. That's why gravitational waves are quadrupole radiation, not dipole radiation.

The intensity (watts/m2) falls off as 1/r^2. It can't fall off faster than that because of conservation of energy.

This is all assuming that GR's description of gravitational waves is right. However, the extremely good agreement of the Hulse-Taylor pulsar's behavior with GR suggests that GR's description is right.

jnorman: I hope you are wrong. here is why: There is a satellite ystem that is supposed to be able to detect subtle differences between gravitational waves emanting from a big bang that will be slightly different than those emanting from a brane collision in a cyclic universe. That would be fun if it works!

I posted details in another thread based on information from THE ENDLESS UNIVERSE by Steinhardt and Turok and all I remember is that it had to do with the polarization of such waves. Ok it's dubbed the BBO or Big Bang Observatory...and is described in the book around page 218...

I'll see if I can find the prior thread...

Could not find it...anyway LIGO and LISA according to the above authors are not sensitive enough for the big bang, and... WMAP came up with nothing so far...but should be able to detect major collisions, like black holes, etc...

1. What is a gravity wave?

A gravity wave is a disturbance in the curvature of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. It is a ripple in the fabric of space itself, and it propagates at the speed of light.

2. How are gravity waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravity waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves. While electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field, gravity waves are disturbances in the fabric of space-time. Additionally, electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, while gravity waves require a medium (such as space-time) to travel through.

3. What is the source of gravity waves?

The most common source of gravity waves is the acceleration of massive objects. This can include events such as the collision of two black holes, the explosion of a supernova, or the motion of massive objects in orbit.

4. How are gravity waves detected?

Gravity waves are detected using specialized instruments called interferometers. These instruments use lasers and mirrors to measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by a passing gravity wave. The most well-known interferometer used for detecting gravity waves is the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

5. What can we learn from studying gravity waves?

Studying gravity waves can provide valuable insights into the behavior of massive objects in the universe. It can also help us better understand the nature of space and time, and potentially confirm or challenge existing theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.