1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another i j k vectors question.

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone. Aftrer doing a search I found loads of information but I still cant get my head around these damm vectors. I understand the basics and how to work out the dot product if given the question in a given way.

An example of the questions im being asked are:

The following two vectors are:
    p = 4i + 3j - 2k and q = 2i - 4j - 3k
    i) Find p+ q
    ii) Find p – q
    iii) Find the scalar product of pq
    iv) Find the direction cosines for both p and q
    v) Find the angle between vectors p and q, giving your answer to 2 decimal places (d.p.)

When the vectors are written in this form I literally dont know where to start!

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In what way do you understand?

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3
    By using the (a)(b)cos0 rule.

To use this I would need to know what a b and the angle would be. So if its drawn for me (almost like a tri angle) its straight forward. I take it the "i j k" must refer to "a b 0"?

Sorry if im miles out this is all totally new to me!

5. Oct 29, 2015 #4

DrClaude

No. i, j, and k are unit vectors (vectors of length 1), pointing along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. Take p, for instance. You have
    $$
    \mathbf{p} = 4 \mathbf{i} + 3 \mathbf{j} - 2 \mathbf{k} = 4 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} + 3 \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} -2 \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 3 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}
    $$
    which represents a vector with its origin at ##(x,y,z) = (0,0,0)## and its tip at ##(4,3,-2)##.

You will need to get your hands on a good book on linear algebra. I don't know much about web resources, but there is a very basic introduction on Math is Fun. You can also have a look at Khan Academy.

6. Oct 29, 2015 #5
    Brilliant thats extremely helpful.

Thanks.

7. Oct 29, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(a, b, c)+ (p, q, r)= (a+ p, b+ q, c+ r).

And the scalar product is (a, b, c).(p, q, r)= ap+ bq+ cr

8. Oct 29, 2015 #7

Mark44

Thread moved out of homework sections, as this question is not specifically a homework question.

9. Oct 30, 2015 #8
    Sorry, im a noob!

For anybody else looking for help on this subject I found this website very helpful.. http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook