Another i j k vectors question.

• Thread starter Ricky31290
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about the struggles with understanding vector operations and the use of unit vectors. The conversation includes examples of vector addition, scalar product, and direction cosines. The individual is seeking help and recommends a helpful website for further understanding.
Ricky31290
Hi everyone. Aftrer doing a search I found loads of information but I still can't get my head around these damm vectors. I understand the basics and how to work out the dot product if given the question in a given way.

An example of the questions I am being asked are:

The following two vectors are:
p = 4i + 3j - 2k and q = 2i - 4j - 3k
i) Find p+ q
ii) Find p – q
iii) Find the scalar product of pq
iv) Find the direction cosines for both p and q
v) Find the angle between vectors p and q, giving your answer to 2 decimal places (d.p.)

When the vectors are written in this form I literally don't know where to start!

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ricky31290 said:
I understand the basics and how to work out the dot product if given the question in a given way.
In what way do you understand?

By using the (a)(b)cos0 rule.

To use this I would need to know what a b and the angle would be. So if its drawn for me (almost like a tri angle) its straight forward. I take it the "i j k" must refer to "a b 0"?

Sorry if I am miles out this is all totally new to me!

Ricky31290 said:
To use this I would need to know what a b and the angle would be. So if its drawn for me (almost like a tri angle) its straight forward. I take it the "i j k" must refer to "a b 0"?
No. i, j, and k are unit vectors (vectors of length 1), pointing along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. Take p, for instance. You have
$$
\mathbf{p} = 4 \mathbf{i} + 3 \mathbf{j} - 2 \mathbf{k} = 4 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} + 3 \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} -2 \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 3 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}
$$
which represents a vector with its origin at ##(x,y,z) = (0,0,0)## and its tip at ##(4,3,-2)##.

You will need to get your hands on a good book on linear algebra. I don't know much about web resources, but there is a very basic introduction on Math is Fun. You can also have a look at Khan Academy.

Brilliant that's extremely helpful.

Thanks.

(a, b, c)+ (p, q, r)= (a+ p, b+ q, c+ r).

And the scalar product is (a, b, c).(p, q, r)= ap+ bq+ cr

Thread moved out of homework sections, as this question is not specifically a homework question.

Mark44 said:
Thread moved out of homework sections, as this question is not specifically a homework question.

Sorry, I am a noob!

For anybody else looking for help on this subject I found this website very helpful.. http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/

What is the purpose of using i, j, and k vectors in scientific calculations?

i, j, and k vectors represent the three dimensions of space (x, y, and z) and are commonly used in solving problems involving motion, forces, and other physical quantities. They allow for a more efficient and accurate representation of complex mathematical relationships.

How do you add and subtract i, j, and k vectors?

To add or subtract i, j, and k vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, to add two vectors a = 2i + 3j + 4k and b = -i + 2j - 3k, you would add 2i + (-1)i = i, 3j + 2j = 5j, and 4k + (-3)k = k, resulting in a + b = i + 5j + k.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude (size), while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (speed with direction) is a vector quantity. i, j, and k vectors are used to represent vector quantities.

Can you use i, j, and k vectors in non-Cartesian coordinate systems?

Yes, i, j, and k vectors can be used in any coordinate system as long as they represent the three dimensions of space. However, in non-Cartesian systems, the directions of i, j, and k may not align with the traditional x, y, and z axes.

What are some common applications of i, j, and k vectors in scientific fields?

i, j, and k vectors are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include analyzing motion and forces in mechanics, solving problems in electromagnetism, and representing complex mathematical relationships in linear algebra and calculus.