1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about determining the angles of triangle given two vectors

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    <<Mentor note: Missing template due to originally being posted elsewhere>>

Hello everyone.

I have the following problem:

Determine the angles of a triangle where two sides of a triangle are formed by the vectors

A = 3i -4j -k and B=4i -j + 3k

I thought that I would find the third side being represented by vector R which would be equal to A-B, that is
    R = -i -3j -4k.

I would then take the cross products of each combination of the two vectors and find the angle between them and these would be the angles of the triangle.

Dot producting A and B vectors, I get the angle between them to be 60 degrees.

Dot producting the A and R vectors, I also get 60 degrees.

Thus with the final angle = 180 - 60 - 60, the last angle should be 60 degrees also.

This is blatantly wrong as my solutions tell me that the answer is:
    arcos 7 /sqrt(75), arcos sqrt(26)/sqrt(75), 90 degrees, or 36degrees4', 53degrees56', 90 degrees

Could anyone please direct me as to what I did wrong and what mistakes need to be fixed? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method and results are fine.

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your solution is correct.

However, a slightly easier way might have been to compute the lengths |A|, |B| and |R| = |A-B|; you would find these to all be equal, so your triangle is equilateral.

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4
    Thank you everyone for your inputs. It is a relief to know that I did not mess something up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted