Another Modeling Growth and Decay Problem

In summary, the Evans Price Adjustment model states that the rate of change of market price is proportional to the difference between the market price and equilibrium price. Using this model, it can be determined that the constant of proportionality is k = 1/12. With the initial condition that the market price is $10 and after 6 months the price has increased to $15, the equation can be set up as dp/dt = (20-p)/12. However, the equation p = 20 - 10e^t/12 appears to be faulty and needs to be solved more accurately to get the correct value for p after 6 months.
Burjam

Homework Statement

Consider an item that is initially sold at a market price of $10 per unit. Over time, market forces push the price toward the equilibrium price, $20, at which supply balances demand. After 6 months, the price has increased to $15. the Evans Price Adjustment model says that the rate at which the market price changes is proportional to the difference between the market price and the equilibrium price.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

dp/dt = 20-p, where p=market price in dollars and t=time in months
∫dp/20-p = ∫1dt
ln (20-p) = t+c
20-p = e^(t+c)
20-p = e^t*e^c
20-p = Ae^t, where A=e^c
p = 20-Ae^t
10 = 20-Ae^0
10 = 20-A
A=10

Now that I've solved for A with the initial condition, I have hit a roadblock. I'm pretty sure my initial setup of this problem is off. When I substitute 15 in for p, I get a negative t, which is impossible. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:

Homework Statement

Consider an item that is initially sold at a market price of $10 per unit. Over time, market forces push the price toward the equilibrium price, $20, at which supply balances demand. After 6 months, the price has increased to $15. the Evans Price Adjustment model says that the rate at which the market price changes is proportional to the difference between the market price and the equilibrium price.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

dp/dt = 20-p, where p=market price in dollars and t=time in months
∫dp/20-p = ∫1dt
ln (20-p) = t+c
20-p = e^(t+c)

$$\int \frac{dp}{20-p}\ne \ln(20-p)$$

Whoops that's a negative. Now this problem makes sense.

Sorry for the double post, but actually it looks like the sign doesn't even matter. Can someone please give me a little more insight? I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with my initial setup.

Ok so I've become aware that I need to solve for the constant of proportionality k.

dp/dt = k(20-p)

The price rises $5 in 6 months, so dp/dt=5/6 when p=10

5/6=k(20-10)
k=1/12
dp/dt=(20-p)/12

From here, I get what appears to be a faulty equation:

p = 20 - 10e^t/12

The reason I say this is because when I plug in 6 for t I don't get 15.

Burjam said:
Ok so I've become aware that I need to solve for the constant of proportionality k.

dp/dt = k(20-p)

The price rises $5 in 6 months, so dp/dt=5/6 when p=10

In general [itex]p'(6) \neq \dfrac{p(6) - p(0)}{6}[/itex].

You need to solve
[tex]
\frac{dp}{dt} = k(20 - p)
[/tex]subject to [itex]p(0) = 10[/itex], and then find [itex]k[/itex] from the condition that [itex]p(6) = 15[/itex].

1. How do you model growth and decay in a scientific context?

Growth and decay can be modeled in a scientific context using mathematical equations, such as exponential or logarithmic functions. These equations can be used to represent the change in a quantity over time, whether it is growing or decaying.

2. What are some real-life examples of growth and decay models?

Real-life examples of growth and decay models include population growth, radioactive decay, and bacterial growth. These phenomena can be described using mathematical equations and observed in various scientific fields.

3. How do you determine the rate of growth or decay in a model?

The rate of growth or decay in a model can be determined by finding the slope of the curve on a graph or by calculating the derivative of the equation. This rate can also be influenced by factors such as initial conditions and external factors.

4. Can growth and decay models be applied to non-quantitative data?

Yes, growth and decay models can be applied to non-quantitative data, such as the spread of a disease or the adoption of a new technology. In these cases, the data can be converted into numerical values and modeled using appropriate equations.

5. How accurate are growth and decay models in predicting future outcomes?

The accuracy of growth and decay models in predicting future outcomes depends on various factors, such as the quality of the data, the assumptions made in the model, and the complexity of the system being modeled. These models can provide useful insights, but they should be used with caution and always be evaluated critically.